Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: James Johnson to DAL | Wright to DET | Ariza + JJ to OKC
(11-25-2020, 05:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 05:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I still don´t get the hype for a guy like James Johnson. I watched some highlights. Looked at the numbers...and I am sorry. I just don´t see it.
Feels like people are in love with the idea of James Johnson the defensive minded enforcer but that´s not really what he has been on the court. He is nearly 34 years old. He doesn´t have outstanding boxscore numbers and his +/- numbers are bad. The last time his teams defense was better with him on the floor was 2017 (first season in Miami). That´s nearly 4 years ago.
Based on the numbers and also my eyetest his offense actually looks better than his defense these days. Not the worst passer and slowly improving as a shooter.

I really don´t expect a lot from him. Hope he will be the enforcer we needed. A few hard fouls. Protecting Luka. And if does a good job he can earn another contract next year (maybe the BAE).

I am excited to have the guy who plays deep bench minutes every once in a while, the way that Jackson did, be a guy who can hard foul the crap out of someone who is attempting to intimidate our good players. I am ALSO excited that his expiring contract completely erases the DeLon Wright mistake. I have no illusions about him coming in and making a tangible basketball difference.

Just looking at the rotation projection thread or the offseason talk I saw a lot of guys mentioning him as the backup or even starting PF. Agree with you that he should get the Justin Jackson role/his minutes.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 05:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: He doesn´t have outstanding boxscore numbers and his +/- numbers are bad. The last time his teams defense was better with him on the floor was 2017 (first season in Miami). That´s nearly 4 years ago.

His On/Off net w/ MIA:

19-20: +0.8 (SMALL sample size of 281 mins played)
18-19: -5.7
17-18: -0.3
16-17: +4.0

With MIN:

19-20: -14.0 (!!, but SMALL sample size of around 330 mins played)

My take:

1) I am 100% with you that counting on him to start is unrealistic and probably a disaster if it comes to that.

2) He was traded for as an expiring contract, anything else positive is totally unexpected gravy.

3) I would hope he gets DNPs most/all nights as there are much better players I would rather play or get experience. I would NOT put him into any basic rotation.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...9634229249

Looks like one 2nd to dump Jackson....one 2nd to get the expiring of Johnson. 

So Wright wasn't a negative asset (I was right there)....but Jackson was (I was wrong there).

I am here to eat crow on Jackson.

[Image: eating-crow-1.gif?fit=800%2C600&w=640]

https://twitter.com/JJacks_44/status/133...5150023680
Like Reply
Ya tough that it took seconds to dump Wright. I really think it was more about OKC being paid to be the facilitator than Wright being so terrible that you need two 2nds to dump him. That being said if he was even a slight positive then some team would have taken him for "free."
Like Reply
J Jax...there goes another disgruntled player cast aside by the ruthless Mavs
Like Reply
(11-27-2020, 10:05 PM)fifteenth Wrote: J Jax...there goes another disgruntled player cast aside by the ruthless Mavs

https://twitter.com/JJacks_44/status/133...3236355072
Like Reply
I'm glad that Wright is gone. At least Jackson was a solid dude in the community while he was here.
Like Reply
J Jackson play well the 1st quarter of the season. He was really getting to his shots, corner 3's, slashing, and the floater. He doesn't take contact well despite his length. His performance waver after 2020 started. Nice guy, but didn't had the intensity. I really wish he becomes a better player in OKC, especially with the roster they have.
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 05:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think people are really excited for James Johnson because of his basketball skills, but moreso excited for the fact he's one crazy mf'er who will take down any single person in the league. 

There is a 5 minute highlight reel of Jonhson getting into it with opposing players and protecting his teammates after hard fouls. We were sorely missing that with bitch ass Morris on the Clips running wild in the playoffs. If we had James--undefeated in MMA-20-0 kickboxing record-karate blackbelt-Bloodsport-Johnson protecting our stars, you best believe Morris would've either been severely hurt, or ejected in multiple games. If KP doesn't get ejected game 1 there is a real chance the Mavs win that game. Luka won 2 games by himself. The whole series could've been different. 

I also think that Johnson is a big defensive wing that has shown the ability to be able to guard the Lebrons, Kawhi's and AD's of the world. And we got him for essentially nothing. Thats why I'm excited for him. I don't really care if he scores 3 points or 13 points. I just want him in the game to take down someone and put the fear of God in everyone else to not touch Luka/KP.

Some of the basketball skills are the reason this is my favorite move, though being an enforcer type is definitely big. Johnson is the closest thing to a two way player we are adding. He's not like Iwundu where the defensive gains are offset by offensive losses, Johnson actually has some offensive game too.

12 points 4.7 boards 3.8 assists 1.4 steals 1.4 blocks in 24 mpg with 37% from deep in his short stint with the Wolves. Still has some game
Like Reply
I think JRich leads the two-way pack
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 01:05 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think JRich leads the two-way pack

I'll agree if he can actually get his eFG% above 50%, which might happen with Luka here creating for him, but I won't give him that crown until I see it. 

Johnson also shot better from deep last season. I wouldn't sleep on Johnson, this could be a great pickup
Like Reply
I love the Johnson pick up! But JRich is competing for 3rd best player while James is competing for a rotation spot.

imo
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 03:07 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I love the Johnson pick up!  But JRich is competing for 3rd best player while James is competing for a rotation spot.

imo
After watching more of Johnson’s film I was surprised at how well he finishes around the rim. Nice touch off the glass. If he could master the pick and roll with Luka I don’t see what’s stopping him from being ahead of powell in the rotation. In fact, I think he is the ideal starter next to maxi to begin the season with KP out
Like Reply
I think that would constitute a mid 30s career year
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 04:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think that would constitute a mid 30s career year
You are right and it wouldn’t be the first time that happened with Carlisle. He has always been a defensive minded coach and if the effort is there then Rick will give him minutes. Johnson was a late bloomer and stranger things have happened

10 ppg 8 rpg with solid defense would be tremendous. On the other hand, if he is more bark than bite we send him to the rainbow bridge
Like Reply
(11-28-2020, 04:24 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: He has always been a defensive minded coach

Maybe in the late 00s and early 10s but in recent years RC has been known for his flow offense. Mavs obviously lacked good defenders so we cannot really blame RC for not giving the Andersons, Hammonds or Mejri more minutes but the Ellis-Dirk, Devin-JJB, Deron-Dirk, Parsons-Dirk, Barnes-Doncic-Matthews Mavs always struggled on defense.
Like Reply
People are undervaluing James Johnson. The guy is a tough athletic vet. Plus it clears cap.
Like Reply