Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: James Johnson to DAL | Wright to DET | Ariza + JJ to OKC
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3035...-mavericks

Quote:The Thunder received an undisclosed draft pick from the Pistons in the deal

Hopefully this is accurate. It's the only detail I've heard so far on the draft pick.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:15 PM)loki Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3035...-mavericks

Quote:The Thunder received an undisclosed draft pick from the Pistons in the deal

Hopefully this is accurate. It's the only detail I've heard so far on the draft pick.

If we didn't give up a pick, this turn into a solid double of a trade.
Like Reply
"To be him a "negativ" asset we had have to give the pick."

I dont think it was us who gave up a pick.
Like Reply
Love it. This soft team just got less soft.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:52 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Love it. This soft team just got less soft.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
If we didn't give any draft compensation, this turns a solid B trade into an A-
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 05:04 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If we didn't give any draft compensation, this turns a solid B trade into an A-

I give it a B+, but still great to get off of Wright's contract.
Like Reply
I think that was a typo because they worded it as they received Jackson from the Pistons. 

But either way. An undisclosed 2nd round draft pick could just be a highly protected one. And it's a single 2nd rounder. 

James Johnson is arguably the same caliber of player... He's a backup that has certain skillset. An exchange for a better fitting player is worth a mediocre 2nd which is all we had to offer. 

Hardly any serious cost. You can buy a 2nd every year. And if the Mavs want a 2nd in that year they can just buy one.
Like Reply
We had two players that most of us wanted to move. Every team has those guys and they are usually very hard to move. We moved them successfully and got a more useful player than either of them were and a roster spot. 

How in the land of high expectations can this be anything but an A. This is addition by subtraction at it's finest getting out from under two bad contracts (bad because they didn't fit here). James Johnson will at the very least have a minimally useful role here. Some on here think he will be very useful. That sounds like a bottom of the 9th triple to tie the game with the winning run now on 3rd to me. 

The good job continues MBT.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:52 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Love it. This soft team just got less soft.

Just added an Aussie Footballer and a mixed martial artist/kickboxer to the roster in the last few days.   That'll do.
Like Reply
Ya, if we see nothing else (since this trade we got Iwundu as well), I think either Maxi or (the new) JJ will be your starting C at the beginning of the year.
Like Reply
Just want to say how great it was to see the garbage players Wright and Jackson being tossed out for a useable defensive easily tradable contract player...

https://media4.giphy.com/media/Oj7yTCLSZ.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I love this trade. Dumped two ill fitting players for a really interesting player in Johnson. I have not watched Johnson much, his highlights are impressive though. A concern with a guy like that who had some skill is trying to do too much (ie chuck up shots). Hopefully he can slide into a role here.
Like Reply
Was really disappointed Wright didnt work out here. There were some games last year in the regular season where his defense made the difference in the game..and if he was not hesitating, he can actually make that three.

but if with luka you are not a fit, you got to split..simple as that
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 09:20 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: but if with luka you are not a fit, you got to split..simple as that

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10870991]
Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 09:14 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Just want to say how great it was to see the garbage players Wright and Jackson being tossed out for a useable defensive easily tradable contract player...

https://media4.giphy.com/media/Oj7yTCLSZ.../giphy.gif

Justin Jackson will soon be included in this list

Like Reply
(11-22-2020, 09:20 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Was really disappointed Wright didnt work out here. There were some games last year in the regular season where his defense made the difference in the game..and if he was not hesitating, he can actually make that three.

but if with luka you are not a fit, you got to split..simple as that
I think Josh Richardson can be the guy they WANTED Wright to be. Delon was a desperation signing because the Mavs screwed up free agency. His fit was based on too many IFs... IF he can learn to shoot, IF he can be a consistent starter after being a bench player his entire career. JRich is a proven starter and above-average shooter.
Like Reply
I still don´t get the hype for a guy like James Johnson. I watched some highlights. Looked at the numbers...and I am sorry. I just don´t see it.
Feels like people are in love with the idea of James Johnson the defensive minded enforcer but that´s not really what he has been on the court. He is nearly 34 years old. He doesn´t have outstanding boxscore numbers and his +/- numbers are bad. The last time his teams defense was better with him on the floor was 2017 (first season in Miami). That´s nearly 4 years ago.
Based on the numbers and also my eyetest his offense actually looks better than his defense these days. Not the worst passer and slowly improving as a shooter.

I really don´t expect a lot from him. Hope he will be the enforcer we needed. A few hard fouls. Protecting Luka. And if does a good job he can earn another contract next year (maybe the BAE).
Like Reply
(11-25-2020, 05:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I still don´t get the hype for a guy like James Johnson. I watched some highlights. Looked at the numbers...and I am sorry. I just don´t see it.
Feels like people are in love with the idea of James Johnson the defensive minded enforcer but that´s not really what he has been on the court. He is nearly 34 years old. He doesn´t have outstanding boxscore numbers and his +/- numbers are bad. The last time his teams defense was better with him on the floor was 2017 (first season in Miami). That´s nearly 4 years ago.
Based on the numbers and also my eyetest his offense actually looks better than his defense these days. Not the worst passer and slowly improving as a shooter.

I really don´t expect a lot from him. Hope he will be the enforcer we needed. A few hard fouls. Protecting Luka. And if does a good job he can earn another contract next year (maybe the BAE).

I am excited to have the guy who plays deep bench minutes every once in a while, the way that Jackson did, be a guy who can hard foul the crap out of someone who is attempting to intimidate our good players. I am ALSO excited that his expiring contract completely erases the DeLon Wright mistake. I have no illusions about him coming in and making a tangible basketball difference.
Like Reply
I don't think people are really excited for James Johnson because of his basketball skills, but moreso excited for the fact he's one crazy mf'er who will take down any single person in the league. 

There is a 5 minute highlight reel of Jonhson getting into it with opposing players and protecting his teammates after hard fouls. We were sorely missing that with bitch ass Morris on the Clips running wild in the playoffs. If we had James--undefeated in MMA-20-0 kickboxing record-karate blackbelt-Bloodsport-Johnson protecting our stars, you best believe Morris would've either been severely hurt, or ejected in multiple games. If KP doesn't get ejected game 1 there is a real chance the Mavs win that game. Luka won 2 games by himself. The whole series could've been different. 

I also think that Johnson is a big defensive wing that has shown the ability to be able to guard the Lebrons, Kawhi's and AD's of the world. And we got him for essentially nothing. Thats why I'm excited for him. I don't really care if he scores 3 points or 13 points. I just want him in the game to take down someone and put the fear of God in everyone else to not touch Luka/KP.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply