Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#31 PICK: Tyrell Terry | 6' 3" | 6' 1.75" wingspan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ICNpBoRQmY
Like Reply
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-sl...s-stanley/

"According to someone who spoke with HoopsHype on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, Stanford’s Tyrell Terry broke a record” for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices this offseason.
Terry’s feel for the game will be a perfect fit alongside Luka Doncic, whose court vision makes him a generational talent. As defenders collapse to guard Doncic on drives to the paint, Terry will often be open on the perimeter. Last season, per Synergy, the Stanford guard was 30-for-60 (50.0 percent) on unguarded catch-and-shoot attempts from beyond the arc.
While the biggest concern for Terry was his frame, he is clearly still growing as the one-and-done prospect reportedly added “15 pounds of muscle” during the offseason.
Put it all together and a statistical projection model from Jesse Fischer of ToTheMean.com included Terry as one of just eleven prospects in this class who had the likelihood of becoming a star at 1 percent or higher.
The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor listed Terry at No. 8 overall on his big board. USA TODAY Sports Media Group’s Rookie Wire was not far behind, putting Terry at No. 12 overall on the final update before the draft.
This means that in the second round, the Mavericks were able to obtain a player who some saw as a lottery talent. His pairing alongside Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis will only increase his likelihood of success."
Like Reply
Easily my favorit pick up so far. Wouldn´t be suprised if he is even better than Brunson in his first season.
Like Reply
I mean I get why people think Brunson is overrated, but what I don’t get is the people that think he’s not even a useable player.

I have not problem sending him out to get better. But not in a trash trade or some salary dump trade like many have suggested.

Like THJ/Brunson for Bogi? I know there’s an infatuation with Bogi or Heild. But would that make us better? I’m not sold Bogi is THAT much better than THJ so adding Brunson(a legit capable backup PG and leads the 2nd unit guy)wouldn’t be the smartest move imo.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 09:27 AM)Hypermav Wrote: https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-draft-sl...s-stanley/

"According to someone who spoke with HoopsHype on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, Stanford’s Tyrell Terry broke a record” for a basketball IQ test administered by several NBA front offices this offseason.
Terry’s feel for the game will be a perfect fit alongside Luka Doncic, whose court vision makes him a generational talent. As defenders collapse to guard Doncic on drives to the paint, Terry will often be open on the perimeter. Last season, per Synergy, the Stanford guard was 30-for-60 (50.0 percent) on unguarded catch-and-shoot attempts from beyond the arc.
While the biggest concern for Terry was his frame, he is clearly still growing as the one-and-done prospect reportedly added “15 pounds of muscle” during the offseason.
Put it all together and a statistical projection model from Jesse Fischer of ToTheMean.com included Terry as one of just eleven prospects in this class who had the likelihood of becoming a star at 1 percent or higher.
The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor listed Terry at No. 8 overall on his big board. USA TODAY Sports Media Group’s Rookie Wire was not far behind, putting Terry at No. 12 overall on the final update before the draft.
This means that in the second round, the Mavericks were able to obtain a player who some saw as a lottery talent. His pairing alongside Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis will only increase his likelihood of success."

To me, the Burke thing alongside the Terry pick is a bit of a head scratcher.  Both are smallish guards who fit well next to Luka.  One thing to watch for is whether part of the MLE goes to Terry or if they just give him a standard 2nd rounder contract.  Length and dollars will give you a clue as to their thinking.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 09:48 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: One thing to watch for is whether part of the MLE goes to Terry or if they just give him a standard 2nd rounder contract.  Length and dollars will give you a clue as to their thinking

I think trading Seth the moment they drafted Terry is very telling.

I think Terry replacing Seth.
Burke replacing Barea.
Richardson replacing Wright
Green replacing JJ
Obviously minutes won't be the same, and it will depends a lot on how quickly the rookies adjust
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 10:03 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 09:48 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: One thing to watch for is whether part of the MLE goes to Terry or if they just give him a standard 2nd rounder contract.  Length and dollars will give you a clue as to their thinking

Burke replacing Barea.
Green replacing JJ
Obviously minutes won't be the same, and it will depends a lot on how quickly the rookies adjust

Great post, I agree with all of this. Richardson is set to play Currys role and mostly from bench sometimes start depending on matchup.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 10:03 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:

Burke replacing Barea.
Green replacing JJ

And Johnson fills a "defends large wings" role we didn't have.  I'll buy that.

To try to define the minutes a little more...  Richardson is what we hoped Wright would be, but he will probably eat up 2/3's of the combined minutes of Wright and Curry as a 30 minute a night starter.  Burke may get the rest of the Curry minutes as a 12-15 minute sub and I bet Terry barely sees the light of day (maybe the 450 total minutes JJB got last year).
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 10:24 AM)burekemde Wrote: Great post, I agree with all of this. Richardson is set to play Currys role and mostly from bench sometimes start depending on matchup.

Richardson will be a starter. No question about it
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 11:04 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 10:24 AM)burekemde Wrote: Great post, I agree with all of this. Richardson is set to play Currys role and mostly from bench sometimes start depending on matchup.

I think there is actually questions about it. 
I think Luka,THJ even if folks don't like it) KP are lock to be startes, DFS are close to that too, leaving one spot for many options. 
I don't think there will be one binnedas a starter  with Richardson, Maxi & DP rotating in it
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 11:26 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:

I think Luka,THJ even if folks don't like it) KP are lock to be startes, DFS are close to that too, leaving one spot for many options. 
I don't think there will be one binnedas a starter  with Richardson, Maxi & DP rotating in it

Disagree.  Richardson is the lock.  DFS/Maxi/Powell and maybe Johnson are the options at the final spot.  Of course, we won't know for sure until KP returns and even then, everyone will have to be healthy (and when does that ever happen).
Like Reply

Things don't always go according to plan, of course, but they absolutely brought in JRich to be a starter. Luka/JRich/THJ/KP are the core, it's the 5th starter that could vary between DFS/Maxi/etc.
Like Reply
Yeah, when you look at the Green pick, the Terry pick, the Burke signing and the fact that Luka's one and only weakness seems to be lateral quickness, it seems clear that they want to play him with two guards (giving themselves options for them to be BIG guards, thank goodness). This gives them easy ways to hide Luka on bad offensive players, and in matchups where he's forced to guard someone decent, there's a much lesser chance that will be the opposing team's pick and roll handler. 

Defensively, they've decided he's a 3, I think. It makes sense, because rebounding and strength are two things he has going for him. But, Richardson and Green are both 1-3 guarders, so Luka's not necessarily locked into guarding Paul George types, either. 

What they're doing is really, really smart in terms of roster fit, imo.
Like Reply
I think fans may be a little surprised by Terry's size. He's actually not really all that small @ reported 6'3" 175. 

For comparison, Devin Harris came into the league at 6'3" 170, albeit with a 6'7" wingspan. 

Harris and Terry are clearly very different players, but I think folks who are comparing Terry to JJB are off base.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 01:04 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Devin Harris came into the league at 6'3" 170, albeit with a 6'7" wingspan.

That 5+ inches of wingspan difference makes such a difference when finishing in traffic and when defending. 

Again, that small wingspan is my only concern with Terry. Definitely worth a second round pick, a steal at that point.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 01:04 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I think fans may be a little surprised by Terry's size. He's actually not really all that small @ reported 6'3" 175. 

For comparison, Devin Harris came into the league at 6'3" 170, albeit with a 6'7" wingspan. 

Harris and Terry are clearly very different players, but I think folks who are comparing Terry to JJB are off base.

Well, and even if they're not surprised, we know that playing two small, quick guards together as part of the bench unit is a Carlisle strategy that has been yielding success for over a decade now. 

I'm not saying you lock yourself into that approach, but I don't look at the roster and think there are too many small guards, personally. They also have ways to play HUGE.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 11:31 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:

Disagree.  Richardson is the lock.  DFS/Maxi/Powell and maybe Johnson are the options at the final spot.  Of course, we won't know for sure until KP returns and even then, everyone will have to be healthy (and when does that ever happen).

We have 3 SG on the roster. THJ, Richardson and now Terry. Richardson will battle with THJ for starting minutes. THJ is most likely to start and I do not see that change but richardson will get siginificant minutes even more than curry. DFS is lock on SF position. Johnson and Green will get minutes and rotate. Bey will be in g league. On PG we have Luka Brunson and Burke. I think to me its clear they have solidified depth on the SG and SF with this offseason. So far at least.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 02:43 PM)burekemde Wrote: We have 3 SG on the roster. THJ, Richardson and now Terry. Richardson will battle with THJ for starting minutes. THJ is most likely to start and I do not see that change but richardson will get siginificant minutes even more than curry. DFS is lock on SF position. Johnson and Green will get minutes and rotate. Bey will be in g league. On PG we have Luka Brunson and Burke. I think to me its clear they have solidified depth on the SG and SF with this offseason. So far at least.

Man, I think you're way off on this one. Time will tell.

As the roster stands today (still could be changes) I'd bet that it's Richardson/THJ/Luka/DFS/KP (defensively). You can make an argument that Kleber will slide in for DFS against certain teams, but I'll bet the plan is Kleber to play a lot of center early on. Not sure if he's the STARTING center on opening night or not, but it wouldn't shock me and I bet he plays there a ton.
Like Reply
THJ/Richardson need to start. THJ off the bench doesn't work so that doesn't help the team out in terms of winning nor as using THJ at the TDL.

As it stands right now, the lineup needs to be Luka/THJ/Richardson and then some combination of DFS/Maxi/Johnson to start the season until KP is back.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 02:53 PM)cow Wrote: THJ off the bench doesn't work so that doesn't help the team out in terms of winning nor as using THJ at the TDL.

Yep. Anybody who wants him to come off the bench doesn't remember how that went before he was moved to the starting lineup.
Like Reply