Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woj: Morey stepping down down as GM of Rockets
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1316772149940686849
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I'm a Morey fan, but this is kind of a sorry move, imo. 

If you hated the Westbrook trade this much, quit BEFORE the season.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 11:17 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm a Morey fan, but this is kind of a sorry move, imo. 

Where did you see Westbrook trade is the reason?
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 11:21 AM)omahen Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 11:17 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm a Morey fan, but this is kind of a sorry move, imo. 

Where did you see Westbrook trade is the reason?

It's just common sense and connecting dots. The Westbrook deal was not one that a guy like Morey would believe in, and I've heard (and believe) that Harden went to the owner for that. 

It's clear that they're left with a very flawed roster and no easy way to remake it. That's not 100% about the Westbrook trade, but that one certainly made things worse. Rather than fight through the next few years, which will be brutal, he and the coach bailed. I'm cool with wanting out of a situation where Harden has more power than you do as the GM, I just think I'd have made more of a stink BEFORE the deal was made.

It's possible that 100% wrong about this, and Morey was the biggest fan of bringing Westbrook in. I don't think so, but it's possible. In that case, this would be even MORE sorry, because this huge mess would be ALL Morey's fault. And then he skips town because he can't be bothered to rebuild them out of it? Just let someone else clear the wreckage? 

That's sorry, imo.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/stat...6109454336

Houston will promote executive vice president of basketball operations Rafael Stone to general manager, per Wojnarowski.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 11:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's sorry, imo.

Houston is clearly heading towards a rebuild. If I am them, I would actually consider doing it this year. There is just no way to get better with the contracts they have unless someone gets robbed. So why not leave rebuild to someone who will stay long term? To let him rebuild to his liking. Get rid of Westbrook, cash in on remaining assets you have. Tank hard the season that will be one sorry, shortened, perhaps without fans season anyway. Hope for top pick (they keep their 2021 pick if it is 1-4) and start rebuilding with the assets you get for Harden, Tucker, Covington and perhaps Westbrook. A bit of luck and they could be back quickly.

New story should be written by new guy.
Like Reply
https://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?thr...wn.307804/

https://media.giphy.com/media/65Q3z6837o.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
I think Cuban tried to hire him to come to Dallas before. Any chance Cuban gets him to be GM with Donnie promoted to Basketball Operations?
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 11:45 AM)omahen Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 11:26 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's sorry, imo.

Houston is clearly heading towards a rebuild. If I am them, I would actually consider doing it this year. There is just no way to get better with the contracts they have unless someone gets robbed. So why not leave rebuild to someone who will stay long term? To let him rebuild to his liking. Get rid of Westbrook, cash in on remaining assets you have. Tank hard the season that will be one sorry, shortened, perhaps without fans season anyway. Hope for top pick (they keep their 2021 pick if it is 1-4) and start rebuilding with the assets you get for Harden, Tucker, Covington and perhaps Westbrook. A bit of luck and they could be back quickly.

New story should be written by new guy.

Ok, fine. Except, they didn't fire him. He bailed. They wanted HIM to be the long term guy, even through the next rebuild.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Except, they didn't fire him. He bailed.

If they fired him, they would need to pay rest of his contract (I think he was still under contract?). So you can look at it that he did the honorable thing, saving them some money they clearly don't have.

(10-15-2020, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: They wanted HIM to be the long term guy, even through the next rebuild.

Yeah? Because of some media statements? To me it is pretty logical this cooperation has sang its song and Morey gave most he could. Not to mention all the limitations management threw at him (like not going into tax).
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 12:08 PM)omahen Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 11:57 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Except, they didn't fire him. He bailed.

If they fired him, they would need to pay rest of his contract (I think he was still under contract?). So you can look at it that he did the honorable thing, saving them some money they clearly don't have.

That's possible, but it's not at all how it's being reported, and it's being reported in great detail. Whatever, though. It's definitely not worth arguing about. I just think this is kind of not cool of him, personally.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 11:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Covington

Yes, please.
Like Reply
So bad a genius can't fix it.
Like Reply
With the West so incredibly competitive, it's nice to see one of the big players finally implode both on and off the court. The fact that it's Houston is just the icing on the cake.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:11 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 11:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Covington

Yes, please.

Covington is 10x the player anyone else we've thrown around here in regards to trading 18. He legit guarded everyone for the Rockets and was a big reason their ultra small ball lineup worked.

Easily I'd give up 18 for Covington. 

And if we couldn't trade for Covington then PJ Tucker would be the next guy I'd clamor over (but wouldn't trade 18 for).

(10-15-2020, 01:24 PM)Tyler Wrote: With the West so incredibly competitive, it's nice to see one of the big players finally implode both on and off the court. The fact that it's Houston is just the icing on the cake.

They haven't imploded just yet. If they ship off James Harden to NYK though then I'd be content.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Easily I'd give up 18 for Covington.

I hesitate only because I wonder if RoCo got run into the ground by HOU this year. He is about to turn 30. Just makes me nervous. His shooting percentages PLUMMETED.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: PJ Tucker

Tucker is somehow expecting a big extension, but I am not sure who would give it to a 35 year old vet. Perhaps Houston extends him as a last favor?
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:33 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 01:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Easily I'd give up 18 for Covington.

I hesitate only because I wonder if RoCo got run into the ground by HOU this year. He is about to turn 30. Just makes me nervous. His shooting percentages PLUMMETED.

Its funny I just replied to you in the other thread saying how much better I perceive RoCo to be versus Schroeder or OPJ given that he is an all NBA defender that can guard 1-5, he doesn't have the injury history OPJ has, and he's cost controlled. 

I think even if he is run into the ground, there will always be a trade partner for RoCo. Everyone wants a guy like that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think even if he is run into the ground, there will always be a trade partner for RoCo. Everyone wants a guy like that.

Not to mention Houston paid Capella and FRP pick for him...
Like Reply
(10-15-2020, 01:37 PM)omahen Wrote: Tucker is somehow expecting a big extension, but I am not sure who would give it to a 35 year old vet. Perhaps Houston extends him as a last favor?

I don't see what extension he could reasonably get in this market. He's locked up on a non-guaranteed deal till next year. HOU could say tough luck, have fun trying to get a big contract at 36 next year. 

HOU is at a crossroads. Either they blow it up, in which case they'd quickly trade Tucker sans extension, or they keep the band together for another year and see what happens. 

Given that they lost the perfect coach for their system and got rid of the progenitor of said system in the same offseason, and the speculation that Firetta is going broke, I think HOU is teetering on rebuilding.
Like Reply