Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of center play in the NBA
(12-22-2022, 05:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Interesting. So are you saying you'd be interested to give it a go, if the price was right?

@"dirkfansince1998" your description of Ayton comes dangerously close to the complaints about Wood, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Would argue that Wood isn´t nearly as good of an iso defender. I was really impressed with Ayton´s ability to stay in front of Luka. Honestly thought that he was doing a better job than Crowder or Bridges.
But looking at the big picture that´s not the worst comparisation. On paper they have all the athletic tools to have legit two-way impact. But it´s not really translating to on court impact because they are missing the fundamentals/intangible part.

Is it worth a gamble because the Mavs hope that Wood can develop that part of the game? I guess that is what they are trying right now. What Kidd has been telling us. From my understanding that is what all the talk about playing on a good team and making winning plays is about. But I have my doubts if Dallas has the right structure in place to successfully "transform" a player like this.

Still want to believe. And just going with my eyetest I have seen less glaring mental lapses in the last couple of games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 06:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I was really impressed with Ayton´s ability to stay in front of Luka.

Luka is a specific player. His game is not about quickness and athleticism. He is super strong and he knows how to use his body when he gets the slightest advantage, which is mostly coming from a number of fakes. I think mobile and strong taller guys are best weapon against Luka defensively. Give him half a step of distance, hope his threes doesn't go in at ridiculous percentage and don't fall for the fakes. 

However, I think a guy like Ayton would still have huge problems against athletic and quick guys. Not much less than a guy like Wood and likely even more than Powell.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-22-2022, 08:38 PM)omahen Wrote: However, I think a guy like Ayton would still have huge problems against athletic and quick guys. Not much less than a guy like Wood and likely even more than Powell.

Defense has never been Ayton's weakness. He's been a defensive terror as soon as he's entered the league. Heck, he made a name for himself for his ability to stay in front of quick perimeter players. 

Ayton has been lambasted by the Suns because of his offensive consistency and inability to stay "locked in" on that end. You could consider him the opposite of Wood essentially if we want to boil it down, although I'd say even on his off nights he's giving you 8-12 good high percentage points. He's disconnected with the coach and doesn't feel wanted in PHX. He just had a public blowup in the middle of the game with his coach. Mavs should be so lucky if we can grab him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGp16HM0hQ&ab_channel=XinProductions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVs05trUR44&ab_channel=AlexHoops

Some defense highlights. Multiple possessions where he contains guys like Morant, Lavine, Tatum, Giannis, and Luka.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-23-2022, 12:43 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGp16HM0hQ&ab_channel=XinProductions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVs05trUR44&ab_channel=AlexHoops

Some defense highlights. Multiple possessions where he contains guys like Morant, Lavine, Tatum, Giannis, and Luka.

Thanks for this. I learned a lot watching these. 

Most of his blocked shots are with the left hand, but he shoots right-handed, which is interesting. Probably makes him a bit scarier to ball-handlers in the paint. He absolutely does move his feet well on defense, and seems to be a good combo of agility and strength. 

Offensively, he's obviously a good screener, which always helps. Powell is really the only one of those they've had here in years. I knew he was a good roller, but we all know that's the first thing teams will take away from the Mavs, so I was interested to see how polished the rest of his offensive game has gotten. Three things surprised me, a little: 

1) he can floor the ball a little bit. Probably about as much as Powell, but it seems (from the highlights, at least) that he uses the dribble with more productive intent than Powell. Seems much more comfortable doing it, and appears to have a plan in mind. 

2) That midrange jumper isn't bad. The Mavs literally don't have a big with that in his arsenal at the moment. Porzingis had one, but they rarely went in. It's a real hole for Powell and Kleber, who won't even look at the rim on the short roll, when the defense backs off, making their already shaky dribbling and passing 10x more difficult. Judging by the second video, the Suns seem to try to set Ayton up for jump shots, even. Could this skill, over time, be extended out to the corner, I wonder?

3) The first thing that went through my head when we started the Ayton discussion yesterday was that acquiring him would put a stop to the recent progress the Mavs have made using their bigs in the high post or on the short roll to break the trap defenses Luka sees at times. Powell and Kleber have both made a little progress in this area while Wood has shown real promise here, I think. But, it looks like this is not quite the weakness in Ayton's game I suspected. Again, it's a highlight video, focusing on analysis of his strengths, but even just the evidence that he can do this at times is welcome. Several good, quick, decisive passes, sometimes after a deliberate dribble to inch a defender towards him, making for an easier pass and better shot for a teammate. 

I have to admit, I'm more intrigued now than I was 24 hours ago.
Like Reply
Are y'all saying we have a chance at Ayton?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(12-29-2022, 05:25 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Are y'all saying we have a chance at Ayton?

It was discussed for a couple of days last week. 

Hey there, pal!!!
Like Reply
(12-29-2022, 05:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It was discussed for a couple of days last week. 

Hey there, pal!!!

Hi Killer! Good to see ya!!

Would love to get Ayton, btw!
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply