Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJB: DAL wants him to coach, he still wants to play
Information 
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...8456465408
Like Reply
Let's see who the MBT chooses...him or Burke. It looks like Burke has emerged but they value JJB's locker room leadership and bench presence on the roster. That's pretty much the role he will get anywhere else in the league too at this point.
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 12:50 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Let's see who the MBT chooses...him or Burke. It looks like Burke has emerged but they value JJB's locker room leadership and bench presence on the roster. That's pretty much the role he will get anywhere else in the league too at this point.

I think this roster spot should go to someone, who is more ready to contribute or is developing. JJB looked really washed in the bubble.
Like Reply
Honestly, he had a good run. I'm sure he hates that injury pretty much ended hopes of being more than an end of bench lockerroom presence cause he was ballin those 2 years before the injury, but I think it is what it is at this point and he should realize that. I doubt there is a market even at vet min for him out there as a end of bench lockerroom presence/playing coach because there are so many young PG's in the league who need to take up the end of bench position while developing.

edit: However, I guess all it takes is 1 team to offer him a spot.
Like Reply
Man, I might be head of the JJB fan club on the forum. And here's my message to JJB:

Pal, you're a Mav for life. I'd consider putting your jersey in the rafters. You have a coaching position as soon as you want it. If you need to play some more first, we'll help you find a team if you want. And as soon as you're done, come on home and coach our guys up.
Like Reply
I don't have any confidence we will get a more capable player on the court from the 15th roster spot, IMO it's worth burning it on JJB to have him around even if he doesn't play.
Like Reply
“For now I want to play in the NBA,” added Barea. “I haven’t thought much about other options. There will be [options], but I am used to this life and the NBA. Spain is always an option. It was my Plan B before I got to the NBA. That was many years ago.”

Spain, China or coaching

He played as much as Delon Wright in the last game...
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 03:57 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I don't have any confidence we will get a more capable player on the court from the 15th roster spot, IMO it's worth burning it on JJB to have him around even if he doesn't play.

I'd feel proud to call him our fifteenth man  Big Grin
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 12:50 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Let's see who the MBT chooses...him or Burke. It looks like Burke has emerged but they value JJB's locker room leadership and bench presence on the roster. That's pretty much the role he will get anywhere else in the league too at this point.

MBT is not choosing btwn JJB and Burke. They will be evaluating how much they can pay Burke bc other teams will be making him offers. It sounds like to hear JJB tell it he will need to go elsewhere to continue playing and I think I am good with that. He can coach for 20 years if he wants to but he might only have 1 or 2 more seasons where he can still play (if that).

(09-01-2020, 02:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Man, I might be head of the JJB fan club on the forum. And here's my message to JJB:

Pal, you're a Mav for life. I'd consider putting your jersey in the rafters. You have a coaching position as soon as you want it. If you need to play some more first, we'll help you find a team if you want. And as soon as you're done, come on home and coach our guys up.

I feel the exact same way. He is my profile pic and one of my favorite players ever. That being said ya I am good with him playing elsewhere and maybe finding a home here later on (see JET as an example).
Like Reply
Sure he can stick around as the blowout game cigar if he wants. Even a 36 year old undersized guard who has had a previous Achilles injury can do that role and we owe it to him after all he has done for the franchise
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 11:58 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...8456465408
Of course he can still play, but is he better than the competition for the same roster spot? 
As a player with a really, really good career like JJB, it must be so hard to let go. 

Hard to say goodbye. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
The thing is this team needs veteran leadership. Barea and Courtney Lee, supposedly, are the guys who provided that this season, and they obviously did a decent job. With Barea, particularly, what the team decides to do will tell us more about his relationship with Luka and KP than it does about what they think of his chance to contribute on the court. 

I honestly don't know how to make a prediction for this one, but my instincts say that IF Barea is willing to play for the minimum the Mavs won't turn him away.
Like Reply
(09-02-2020, 03:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: honestly don't know how to make a prediction for this one, but my instincts say that IF Barea is willing to play for the minimum the Mavs won't turn him away.

I don't think Mavs would have a problem keeping him, but he would not get a lot of minutes imho. So basically the sentence should be, if Barea is willing to sit for the minimum...
Like Reply
(09-01-2020, 11:40 PM)MrGoat Wrote: Sure he can stick around as the blowout game cigar if he wants. Even a 36 year old undersized guard who has had a previous Achilles injury can do that role and we owe it to him after all he has done for the franchise
I would agree, but it could very well be a matter of roster spots. Depending what the Mavs plan to do in the draft?
Like Reply
Best of luck JJB in your future endeavors. You will always be MFFL!
Like Reply