Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-28-2020, 01:46 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Bet you're wrong on this.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lo...0430550643&mt=2 9-10 mins. 

I mean Cubes went on the Locked on Mavericks podcast and the host asked him straight up if you're thinking about retiring JJ's number and he flat out said no. "You know, I want retired jersey's to be rare. I want them to be very rare. You know? Maybe we'll do a Ring of Honor type thing you know. Um, but its not something I've even thought about right now. I mean JJ, JET, guys who have been here, that were in here 10 years, Fin, um, that were here and had a big impact, Mark Aguirre, those types of guys you gotta give consideration its just what are we going to do? Haven't given a lot of thought"

Straight from Cubes. He's never going to retire JJ's jersey, but he will honor him in some way, he just doesn't know how to. 

So if you still want to take that bet, I'm all for it.

(11-28-2020, 02:35 AM)WillE Wrote: So what remains is the sheer respect for someone who was decisive in our championship run.

Tyson had a much bigger impact, and we all saw how the MBT prioritized giving him money that summer. Frankly there is a clear hierarchy to that 2011 team. It was Dirk----universe sized gap- Terry---Kidd----and then everyone else. And its pricisely that reason why I don't think the Mavs are just handing the contract to JJ under the guise that they're going to cut him in a week just because they want to be nice. I truly think that Carlisle, Donnie, and Cubes think he can still play and they still want him on the team, but because of circumstances he has to earn his spot. I doubt they cut him just because "We Love our Boys in Blue" 

(11-28-2020, 02:35 AM)WillE Wrote: And because of that, you treat him fair. But a non-guaranteed contract would already be unfair, because that would already influence the final decision, as he'd be the only candidate who cut be cut without a financial loss. So from that point of view, he wasn't handed money but only a true fair chance to compete for the roster. Nothing less, nothing more.

Exactly. He was handed a chance to compete, not because they're being charitable. And knowing RC's personal love for JJ and proclivity to play small, I think there is a VERY real chance JJ makes it, and someone like Iwundu will get the axe. Add on top of it JJ's relations with Luka and KP, and how Barea knows Carlisle's system inside and out, I think it's stacked in JJ's favor. 

Or perhaps I'm totally wrong. MBT is a charity and just handed JJ a gold watch worth 3 mil and they all ride off in their separate ways as a thank you for everything. Or perhaps there's a trade brewing? Who knows?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know." - by SleepingHero - 11-28-2020, 03:11 AM