Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-25-2020, 10:13 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Barnes .. a respected league veteran who found out he was traded in the middle of game. 

Simmons is someone who routinely talks to and interviews players, and employs several current and former players.  

Fans don't like to hear this stuff, because they love trading players .. particularly veteran players with big contracts like Barnes and Wes.    But this becomes a negative feedback loop.   Established players don't want to come to Dallas because they know they're just treated as trade fodder, and then Dallas has to use established players as trade fodder because it's their only avenue of acquiring difference making talent because they can't bring in free agents.  Last offseason our free agents amounted to resigning the guys already in the building like DFS and Maxi and bringing in Seth ... who already was in the Dallas fraternity .... this year our free agency was Trey Burke and WCS , who again, were already in the building and taking a vet min flier on a guy who might not make team.  Once again we hear about how we were the 2nd choice of all these players (which means they were using us for leverage).    It's not just the Superstars, but it's end of career guys like Millsap and Crowder and Marc Gasol.  At some point you have to admit it's a problem.

I'm not an NBA insider. And of course Simmons knows players. The Mavs make alot of trades, so it's not hard to believe that players might notice that.

But HSV, your explanation is part speculation and part fiction. And not just HSV, this post is regarding this whole discussion that developed after HSV's post

As somone already said, Barnes knew about a trade brewing and wanted to play anyway. The story of him being treated wrong was just a story, it was fiction, including showing film of him on the bench and speculating about what his facial expression meant. Barnes was treated like a franchise corner stone, like an heir apparent. And he was kept in the loop right up until he was traded (which he knew was happening). Go find what Barnes said, it was positive about the Mavs.

And no competent team in the league would have kept Wes and DAJ and let them expire when it was time to turn the team over. Those guys were treated like respected vets, the whole time they were here. 

The term "trade fodder" is disingeneous, because you can bring out that term any time you want to make "trading" into a negative. You can use another term when you're not trying to slant the conversation.

Regarding free agency, again, you're guessing in order to paint a picture. We struck out in free agency for a long time because we were a team in decline. This season we had price points we stuck to regarding more expensive players and had a specific plan that was actually executed. 

You cite signing our own guys as part of your evidence somehow, which is also disingenous. Are we known for keeping guys or getting rid of them? Which is it that you're arguing? Also, you dismiss a guy in Seth, who liked how the Mavs treated people. Your arguments are informed by your conclusion. A guy doesn't like the Mavs, he's evidence. A guy likes the Mavs, he's evidence. 

Look, I think Simmons has contacts, I think the Mavs are good at trades, and I'm sure there are players who don't like being traded. But all of that is different from the picture that you're trying to paint, and different from this run away train of speculation developed after your post. 

Teams make trades. It's part of the NBA. Some players might not like that. But no reason to embelish it to paint an inaccurate picture about the Mavs.

(11-25-2020, 11:04 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Mavs HAVE traded people more ruthlessly than many other teams. That’s for sure.

You gotta explain this to me, pal. I don't get it.

(11-25-2020, 11:27 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: How happy do you think Mathews and Jordan were about heading to New York? 

You could literally say this about almost any other player ever traded by any team, except for the ones' who requested a trade.

(11-25-2020, 11:27 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Since we know that players HATE being traded, it seems logical to assume that teams who trade more frequently than other teams might risk being viewed in a certain light by players.

This is the only thing I've seen in this whole discussion which argues that players have a negative perception of the Mavs that makes sense...

and I'll add, the way we treated the championship team was wrong.

(11-25-2020, 11:13 AM)cjeter24 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:15 AM)swaggerbox Wrote: barnes

Fair point. Forgot about him. 

Honestly if anyone actually looks at Barnes and is upset about it... They dumb. Barnes sure wasn't upset a few months later when he got paid. Mavs did him a massive favor for trading him to a team that was going to resign him. They weren't. They weren't trading him to upgrade but to have $$.

Barnes is a horrible example. He was in the loop, knew a trade was brewing, and chose to play anyway.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know." - by fifteenth - 11-25-2020, 11:35 AM