Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-24-2020, 05:02 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 12:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There are better players in the world than THJ, but the fascination with moving him, especially given that he fits an important role here, fits the locker room, wants to be here, is on an expiring deal and actually played really well last season is weird to me. 

I wouldn't say I have a fascination of moving on from THJ. But I am trying to read the tea leaves. By all accounts, THJ had an outlier year last season. He overperformed in almost all of his advanced stats across the board.  

We saw tangible evidence that his season last year was truly an outlier, not a brand new THJ. In the bubble, including playoffs, THJ went 38/112 from 3 (33.9%). That is almost exactly his career 3pt percentage. Last year he shot nearly 6 points over his career number. We have to ask ourselves is that really sustainable? And if not, why shouldn't the Mavs go and try to fix that before THJ loses his 40% luster when the next season starts??

Again, I wouldn't really care if the Mavs keep THJ and rock this roster. I'm excited for what's in store. But I also wouldn't be surprised if THJ takes a massive step back.

Nah I don't think THJ had an outlier year, I expect him to do well again, maybe even better. That's bc the outlier is playing with an all-time great in Luka Doncic. I would expect to see him have the same effect on J Rich. But that's also why I don't overrate THJ. I really like THJ and his fit on this team as @"KillerLeft" was alluding to. That being said, if I could upgrade him into Hield who wants to be here I would do so. I would expect Hield to play even better next to Luka just bc that's the Luka effect. I think he guy he plays next to basically gets a letter grade bump. It's part Luka, part Rick but we are going to see this happen over and over again.

I think that effect allowed us to sell high on Curry and buy lower on J Rich who to me has a higher upside.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know." - by StepBackJay - 11-24-2020, 05:06 PM