Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-24-2020, 12:02 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't always like the "sell high" philosophy. Surely sometimes the better move is to "keep high". If THJ's year last year was a product of (1) playing with Luka, (2) mastering the run around screens and nail shots role that Killer has detailed, and (3) his own hard work to fit with Luka, then I think we actually need him. I remember the difference in how the starting unit operated as soon as Tim won the starting job. I'd only want to trade him if he brought back either a 3rd star or someone who could perform his role better than he can. Budy might come close to being both of those things. So, yes to upgrading Tim, but I don't think upgrading Tim would be easy.

I see where you're coming from and generally I agree with you. But I think Hardaway is more likely to revert back to the mean than to stay where he is. The only reason I say that is because we saw in the bubble/playoffs Hardaway show signs of crashing back down to Earth (15ppg on 41/32/90 in the 8 seeding games; 18ppg on 42/35/73 in the playoffs). 

Those numbers are closer to career Hardaway than the renewed version we saw in the regular season last year. I suppose the arguments against THJ crashing back down is that 1) Luka's gravity will still be there. 2) Carlisle will find a way to keep getting stuff from him.

But I don't know. THJ is one of those players that's a constant heat check, and I feel even moving him for a minor downgrade will actually be better in the long run. I think Buddy drastically increases this team's chances, and we'd be lucky to get him. Even if he has drama.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know." - by SleepingHero - 11-24-2020, 12:08 PM