Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Some random thoughts this morning...

The Johnson for Wright/Jackson deal with OKC and Detroit isn't official yet.  Neither is the Ariza for Christian Wood deal that has to happen first in order for Detroit to send him to OKC.

I hadn't noticed this before, but Houston essentially traded Covington for Wood.  Roco went to Portland for Ariza and 16 and a future pick and then Houston sent Ariza, 16 and a future pick to Detroit.

We don't have final numbers on Terry, WCS, Burke or Green yet.  Green will be somewhere between $2.347mm and $2,816mm or 120% of the first number.  I've presumed all along that Terry will get part of the MLE for more than 2 years (like Brunson).  The exact amount isn't known because we don't know the structure of Burke's 3/$10 or WCS's 2/$8.2.  Do those deals start small and have standard raises or start big and decline or did Dallas simply set an even number for each year.

Depending on how all of that works out, Dallas is somewhere between $5mm and $6mm under the tax.  That means they could add the usual trade spread and bring back a more expensive player and stay under the tax.  Johnson's $16.047mm deal could bring back a $21.147mm player and Dallas would stay a non-taxpaying team.  BUT, if you do Johnson + Powell's combined $27mm, the allowable trade spread at 1.25% is $6.75mm and gets you to almost $34mm.  That would put Dallas in the tax (which I presume to be a self-imposed limit to any potential wheeling and dealing this season).

I wonder what Atlanta does with $18mm if Sacramento matches the offer to Bogdanovic.  They've got a pretty deep roster even without him.  What would be more valuable, Johnson or a $16mm TPE if you traded him into that space?

I don't see Iwundu being the cut of the 16th player.  He only counts as a minimum slot in his second year and you won't do much better with that slot.  Unless there is another trade, I suspect Dallas is just giving JJB a $2.5mm gold watch.

Seth, Justin Jackson and Delon Wright had among the worst on-off ratings on the team last season at -2, -4.9 and -4.9 respectively.  All three were positive on-court, but negative on-minus-off.  Johnson isn't historically very good at this metric either, but Iwundu is.  He might be a sneaky contributor to the bench mob.  I'm guessing those two will fight for the minutes Jackson played last season.  Richardson has been a positive in all but one of his pro seasons and all of his 3 seasons as a full time starter.  He was +5 in his last season in Miami.

According to Bobby Karalla, Dallas could have scoree 2.3 pp100 less offensively and still have been the most efficient O in the league last year.  But, if they had given up 2.3 pp100 less defensively, they would have been the 9th rated team defensively instead of 18th.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know." - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-24-2020, 08:52 AM