Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-23-2020, 04:19 AM)cow Wrote: Dude's a bucket, I get that.  I've been campaigning for him.  But why is there no trade market for him?

-Attitude (not returning Walton's call), not happy a sixth man, asking off the team.  That's not great, but again he's so offensively talented, I can't imagine that attitude issue would push away all suitors.  Plus you have to factor in the organization he is part of. 
-Hi contract isn't terrible.
-Asking price (starting to think this is it).  Maybe they want an expiring, young prospect and picks. 

Show me your trade ideas to entice them to move him, please.

And again, are the Mavs even interested?

I mean, the simple reason why there isn't a trade market for him is that the Kings could be asking for too much. There was a huge Buddy trade market over the summer, with Philly being the one team extremely interested in him. But now that they have Curry at half the cost the market has died down.

Second, despite the fact that he's a walking bucket, Buddy is one dimensional. There aren't many teams dying for shooting. The contenders who'd love him, probably can't afford to absorb his contract easily by matching salaries without giving up a key rotation player. Tanking teams don't want him because he isn't going to save a franchise. How many teams off the top of your head would want Buddy at 20 million? Knicks because they need everything, Charlotte because they need everything, I'd say the Mavs, Warriors are interesting with Klay going down and Wiggins contract there. But there are no seamless fits. And all of this rests on what SAC even is asking for him, which are probably multiple picks and a young player, which is a steep price. 

The only trade that makes sense for the Mavs is based around THJ. Add in Brunson for value. I'd believe any deal starts with THJ+Brunson as the baseline. Alone it just seems like a simple swap of SG's and the Mavs give up a young prospect. What I think is happening is that the Kings are asking for even more in the form of draft compensation. To which the Mavs are like "bro why would we do that when another actual star SG could come up for trade at any moment (Beal)". 

My ideal and probably most realistic trade is THJ+Brunson+Powell+2027 1st top 10 protected+2023/2025 2nds for Buddy+(insert 1 of Parker, Holmes, Bjelicia, all 3 are 1 year deals).

My reasoning to including the picks is that the Mavs are looking to be contenders for the next several years. I think Buddy really does significantly improve their chances at that. Further if the Mavs DO land a big fish next summer, all the picks go out the window, because the Mavs will consistently be the best team in the NBA. 30th picks are more than worth Buddy. And the core would be locked in with Luka/KP/Buddy/Big Fish.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know." - by SleepingHero - 11-23-2020, 04:30 AM