Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-22-2020, 12:58 AM)cjeter24 Wrote: For me it's all about asset management/acquisition until you get something that acquires you another star. That's either picks, players, cap space or a combo of all them. 

I've compared it to a high stakes game of Bigger or Better if you ever played that in your younger days at a camp or if you've ever done it in team building excercises with co workers. 

So far from last summers start when we gained pretty sizable flexibility we started with 0 assets in the next 3 years except Brunson our 2020 1st, GS 2nd and our 2nds. (We actually had some more 2nds we sent for Delon but not anything worth mentioning).

We took cap space and got Curry, DFS, Kleber, and Wright signed in FA. (Powell was still under contract so ignoring him)
We flipped Curry into Richardson who as a 2 way player and expiring is much more valuable, a high 2nd
Wright was flipped into a pretty large expiring and a decent bench guy. That expiring is worth something IMO. 

And thru development DFS and Kleber have gotten better so that's a better asset too. 

We literally started from 0 since all of our assets were exhausted from KP. So it's a slow process just like Bigger or Better to get to the winning item and win the prize.

Yes, sir. BRAVO!

And, while I know we as Dallas fans only know the life of kamikaze piloting ourselves from one drunken, ill-advised, big money trade to the next, I'm convinced that a key part of the process you're describing above is the ABSENCE of roster CRAP, or as close to none of it as you can get. 

Somewhere along the line for Mavs fans, "flexibility" became a word used to describe "failure," and so the emotions involved with those words are now linked for many. The post championship Mavs were in total denial. Everything they tried for like 8-9 years was moronic as hell. Think of that as Donnie going to GM grad school, if you want, but regardless, THIS situation is different. You'd almost have to TRY to mess this up. 

Have we not noticed how the national guys are paying attention to everything the Mavs are doing this time, even in a year when they don't have cap space? Relevance is on the rise. This is all working, and we should all just enjoy the ride, imo.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by KillerLeft - 11-22-2020, 01:07 AM