Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I think Dan's HIBW plan is what the Mavs are trying to do. 

I've advocated and pointed out that if you traded 3 of Powell, Kleber, Seth and Wright you'd have enough for a Giannis level max plus slightly north of 20 mill to spend in salary for additional players not on the books as of the start of the offseason. We have 2 of those guys gone with expirings or likely expiring back and Kleber so easy to move that it's done. This was the assumption of a flat cap next year which it sounds like actually won't be the case.

So Mavs could easily fit Gallo at 20 mill or so into their Giannis plans. They could still fit another player in that sliver. 
Additionally if no Giannis and assuming no Kawhi or any sort of surprise player like that really being on the market, then you wouldn't even need a full max next year so it gives you even more salary to be able to fill. 

So look at what we know thus far. 

We were in on Crowder and Gallo additional years or not. 

The only deals that we could have done because of our lack of cap space: Ibaka, Trez, Thompson, Favors, DJJ, Ja. Green, Plumlee. I left out all these small deals for meh or crappy players. obviously anything under MLE we could have done. But none of the bigger names at a position of need. 

So basically a one year rental of mostly mediocre bigs. 
For every other deal we are at the mercy of another team's willingness to work with us via SNT. 

We do have all the expiring contracts anyone could want tho as we made the move for more of them. Those are small assets in themselves. We had a great draft. Overall we've take a nice little leap in our asset pool. We also have gotten better with the moves. 

At this point yeah it stinks nothing else bigger yet... But we didn't have much flexibility but we've still improved and have a bit more now. 

We may make a trade sometime in the next few days. But I think the real possibilities are opening up during the season when we take up to like 80 mill in salary back with all of our expiring contracts.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by cjeter24 - 11-22-2020, 12:33 AM