Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
So the more I think on the James Johnson move... I absolutely love it. 
He's going to have a huge role here early on with KP out and Dwight probably on a bit of a minutes restriction. 

He should be very expendable by the trade deadline whenever that is. 

Of course all these expiring deals and affordable deals can be used to salary match in a trade. With the 16 mill deal of James Johnson you have options for a nice move. 

You can go long term and get a real talent and I'm sure they'll try if available. But he's some guys you'd be able to easily salary match with Johnson and filler that we now have:

Porter
Derozan
Aldridge
Dipo
Fournier (lol for the haters)
Conley is a bit more difficult but theoretically including Powell could get that done from $$ but not value standpoint. 

Another list of guys that might be on the move that aren't expiring (or have a player option) that may be moved and could be possibly matched with Johnson's deal plus cap filler (some may need Powell): 

Griffin
Hield
Draymond (please no)
Lavine
Gary Harris
Gordon

Why it's a low key nice move for the expiring's angle is that it nets you about 3.5 mill extra in salary matching capabilities with Johnson's single contract versus Jackson and Wright together. That's not insignificant. Curious to see if Mavs did a declining # on burke's deal since they appear to not be using the MLE fully. 

I think technically with all of our expirings we could technically absorb Wall and Beal if you wanted to scrap up enough assets for a KP type trade again. I don't think that would get it done but theoretically...
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by cjeter24 - 11-21-2020, 09:21 PM