Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-21-2020, 06:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 06:46 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I suspect that you are not necessarily the Powell homer that Cuban, Donnie, RC, and a few tools on this board are, and that you just look at WCS and see a bad basketball player in terms of whatever criteria you're looking for. I'm sorry; I can't watch the man play without thinking of Powell. He may not be half the man Powell is, but he's a better basketball player for what might reasonably be asked of both. QED.

Putting down Powell to prop up WCS is really puzzling. If anything they're both underwhelming. Very few people around here, if any, are justifying Powell's contract. We all agree it's an overpay, even before the injury. Does that mean Powell is a bad player? No. He's very elite at 2 specific skills: rim rolling, and hustling. Because of those 2 skills alone he excels in RC's system. He's also wicked smart, which is just a bonus under Carlisle. Powell is a limited player. I think the Mavs should move on from him. But Powell has nothing to do with WCS.

WCS might have all the athletic gifts in the world, it doesn't mean anything if he can't actually use them. It's not like WCS lacked any opportunity here. We desperately needed him after Powell went down and WCS never showed up.

If WCS had any sort of value, he would have been signed already by a multitude of teams needing a bigman. Nobody is lining up to sign WCS, and there's a reason for that.

Yeah, I remember your dismissal of WCS in the game threads, and could never figure it out. I kept asking myself, "Is SH watching the same game I am?" WCS looked just fine to me at those times you found him to be underwhelming or not showing up.

At some point, you're going to be willing to play and value an athletic rim-runner/rim-protector, or you aren't. We have a unicorn, but not every center in the league is a unicorn. Perimeter defense and switching is important. I see no evidence that there's no longer need in the NBA for rim protection.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by Scott41theMavs - 11-21-2020, 06:59 PM