Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-21-2020, 09:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 09:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 09:37 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:  
The Burke deal indicates that they never considered the guys that most of us considered to be in the full MLE range (Crowder, DJJ or Millsap). That´s probably the most confusing part.

Or, once it became clear they weren't going to get a good multi-year starter through trade, their fallback plan was Johnson.  Once you go there, there isn't any point spending the entire MLE on a multi-year guy.  Burke makes just about the right amount on his multi-year to preserve space for GA.  So, you could be right or he could have been Plan B when Plan A didn't work.  It's not like Burke signed at 5:01.

I don´t think guys like Crowder, Millsap or Ibaka signed with any team as of now. I think they prefered the easy way to max capspace and with Johnson they also added a piece that is basically the poor man´s version of Millsap.

Maybe I wasn't clear.  I think those guys and maybe DJJ were considered.  But only if they landed someone on a multi-year basis using trade assets.  They reportedly tried for Covington and very likely tried for Gallinari and Wood.  If they could have landed one of those guys, why not go all in with the MLE.  But, once that didn't happen, why not go all in on 21.  There was no point in combining expiring Johnson with multi-year Crowder.  It would have just meant there was no strategic plan.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-21-2020, 09:58 AM