Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I like the James Johnson move no doubt. It gets off Wright.

I'd be shocked to see the 2nd rounder not be the Miami 2023 2nd. Perhaps we also included a Mavs future second. But 2 2nds is the max of the draft compensation when we hear it I believe. Reading the deal I think it's a salary dump to OKC and then they flipped him to Detroit. 

The players they grabbed actually really help the team in areas and we definitely are better today than we were on Tuesday. Did we target expiring deals both times or was it just convenient? I feel like the Richardson deal was just convenience. This felt more intentional. 

I think the natural conclusion to jump to is plan powder and maneuvering to keep max cap space for next summer (we actually created it with the expirings now). But we heard rumors we were in on a Gallo SNT. So creating a max cap spot would be meaningless. And regardless of what you think of FA next summer, if Giannis is indeed resigning... There is little reason to think anyone in FA is a max guy next year except for some possible RFA that surely would be matched. 

This feels to me like less of plan powder and more of getting players that are helping the team now and that you can turn into a bigger and better asset later. I feel like the Mavs are playing a game of bigger or better right now lol. 

I think the plan might be to take all these expirings and hope to flip them into something during the season. IDK.... I feel like there is some sort of plan here with the reports of Mavs trying to sign guys to longer team deals. 

I don't think we are done yet. No idea what the next move is.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by cjeter24 - 11-21-2020, 05:24 AM