Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 11:36 PM)LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT Wrote: I remember he didn’t get the starter position but for the bulk of the season he was in the rotation. 
honestly I don’t remember the all-star break period. The pandemic is basically a wash out from that time until the playoffs for me.

Depends on what you mean by "rotation"...it was fairly obvious about 20 games in that it wasn't working. Carlisle tried him in a variety of roles, including backup PG, for a long time. After a while, he became like the 10th or 11th man, and when they felt they had to sign Burke right before the bubble, that was a wrap. 

Dude just wasn't a fit. Can't win 'em all.

It seems that you are right but that’s not what I saw in terms of The Player in a vacuum.

To start the season we had a # of options to work through. Seth, Brunson, Wright, Hardaway Jr, etc. Wright got the 1st chance to start IMO bc of his size/defense at SG. But once Hardaway locked in the starting spot, (I think around game 20) that pushed Wright into 2 categories.. bubupg and back up versatile wing.

On the bupg front he continued to fill valuable minutes, IMO. But we just had so many options at SG, so he mostly played in the versatile wing role in small ball. He is not ideally built for this role, he’s large for a guard but small for a wing. Serviceable, but not ideal. The Mavs signed Kidd Gilchrist and filled that role w a proper defender. (And honestly this is when I stopped watching last season until the playoffs)

So up until that point I believed Wright was a good player. Maybe not the best shooter or the best size for the wing, but he ran a good offense and provided versatility and depth. What I felt was solid for the price paid.

To me Burke was a fluke. He was available and we had an open roster spot, and he came in and offered something that was just undeniable. And Carlisle rode that hot hand as he should have.

So maybe Wright is upset about how his situation played out. Mavs fans may be disappointed. He may not even be a great fit. But I believe he’s a good player, and I don’t think he is on a bad contract. So I don’t think he’s a guy we give away for nothing.

But if he’s a malcontent that’s another situation. And players like that gotta go.

(I realize most would disagree about his contract. I guess I’m looking at that in terms of what type of mistakes Mavs have made before. It’s just not that big of a mistake for a young player that they thought had potential.)
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | "Lots of things flying around right now." - by LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT - 11-21-2020, 12:49 AM