Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 02:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: On that same note, taking into consideration THJ's numbers before he got here and what he accomplished last year, why is it not in any realm of possibility to believe that a person who comes here as a better 3 pt shooter BEFORE coming here could at the very least replicate that success? 

With that note, why is it so impossible to think that a person that comes here as a better shooter than THJ was before getting here while having more to his skillset that that person is not an upgrade?

This is all good stuff. 

What I think is being lost is the ROLE we're talking about. Sprinting around screens, getting shots off quickly (8 attempts per game!!!) and from spots where the opposing defense knows from film that you're trying to reach in order to catch the ball. Hardaway wasn't a guy who just shot more than the other guys on the team, he was the guy who those shots were DESIGNED to go to. This is one of the things opposing defenses schemed to take away, and yet he got off 8 attempts per game (go listen to JJ Reddick and Duncan Robinson talk about how freaking difficult that is - just being able to get that many shots up in this role) and he shot 40%!!! List of people in this role who were better last year: Robinson, Reddick and Hield. That's it. That's the list. Since Hardaway had NEVER played that role before (was on ball a lot more in the past, especially in NY) his "I'm the star here" 3pt% that he brought with him to Dallas doesn't matter to me in the slightest. What's important to me is that on 500+ attempts last year, in this role, he shot 40% and they made the playoffs. It worked. 

Now, you want to tell me you think Bogdanovic is a better player? Debatable, but whatever, I won't argue. You want to tell me he can play THIS specific role better? I might push back a little harder, but whatever, I won't argue. The issue I have is that people don't seem to understand how rare it is to do what THJ did here last year. It's a highly coveted season he put together. A DFS 3pt% (corner shots you get because you're the dude the other team chooses to leave open) is really not all that comparable to a Hardaway 3pt% (usually the first or second option, and often the point of running a specific action or play). 

I know I digressed from your question, sorry. I just think the above is badly, badly misunderstood. 

In terms of "can Bogdanovic be a replacement for that, in addition to being a better playmaker" my answer would be "I'm honestly not sure." I would trust the Mavs - if they think he can be, we'll find out. What I'm trying to do in this conversation is offer some ideas as to why they might not want him, nothing more. I'm not saying it, I'm considering it. But I DO think there's risk involved with rocking this particular boat. Especially when doing so throws a ton of financial flexibility out of the window. 

I guess I just don't see Bogdanovic as a guy so good that you just pay him and make him fit. If others are higher on him than that, I can see the argument. If the Mavs get him, I'll assume they are higher on him, too. What I'm saying is that if they AREN'T interested, I can see why, and I definitely won't suddenly think this GRAND SLAM of an off-season is somehow tainted. I'm also saying (again and again and again, forever) that while the Mavs would and should move Hardaway instantly in the right deal, I definitely don't think getting hm off of the roster is remotely close to something you could call a goal. I think they LIKE him, I think they VALUE him, and I think they're hoping he can build on his success from last season.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | RC: We're not anywhere near done. - by KillerLeft - 11-20-2020, 02:43 PM