Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 01:59 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Josh Richardson is career 36% from 3, Bog is 37%, THJ is 35%. People act like Rich can't shoot. You are going to be surprised. All of these guys can hit outside shots especially in this system that gets them good looks.

Yep, he can knock down the wide open looks, just like DFS - that's a win, for sure.

But what I'm saying is that part of the "system" you're crediting with generating those wide open looks is having a guy whose GREATEST skill is relocating off-ball in designed, creative ways to put pressure on the defense. Once Curry went out, I had a tough time seeing a situation where Hardaway wasn't on the roster. I don't think Richardson will be asked to play that specific role on offense, as A) he's not as good at it as Hardaway and B) it would literally mean exerting maximum energy constantly at both ends of the floor. When he's playing off-ball, I'd expect it to look a lot more like DFS's game. And I agree, he'll knock them down at a much better rate here, but that's because of Luka AND Hardaway, imo. 

The minimizing being done in this conversation (not by you, specifically, but by many people) is not about Richardson's 3pt%, it's about how freaking hard it is to play the role of FEATURED off-ball shooter in the NBA. Hardaway was GREAT at it last season, and that's probably one of the 3-4 biggest reasons the Mavs made the playoffs. Most teams in the NBA are looking for a guy who can do exactly what he did for the Mavs. It gets so overlooked on this board. I can handle the argument that he has only done it once, so it might be an outlier season. I don't agree, but I can handle that. But, to act like what he did last year wasn't valuable, or was something that the Mavs looked at themselves and said "Well, we can't have THAT guy here anymore" is INSANE to me.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | RC: We're not anywhere near done. - by KillerLeft - 11-20-2020, 02:09 PM