Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 01:38 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: The reality of KP is even under the best case scenerio he's going to require an absolutely ridiculous amount of minutes restriction and nights off going forward.  Again, that is the best case scenerio.  

And let's be clear ... this skillset isn't a "nice to have" for this organization with Luka.   It's absolutely critical that someone on the roster is providing it.

I'm not disagreeing with you, least of all about Wood and how he'd be used here. I'm on your side. 

But do not make the mistake of thinking the Mavs can DOUBLE UP on a redundancy of KP's role with him on a MAX CONTRACT. If they think they can't depend on him and they MOVE HIM, that's a different story. 

With Wood, I'm intrigued, but that's because I feel like not only can he do what KP does (as you're saying) but that he can ALSO play on the court WITH KP. I do not think the Mavs would even consider him (at the price we're talking about - maybe the MLE though) if they don't feel that way.

(11-20-2020, 01:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 01:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But, to assume that A) he wants to be here AND B) the Mavs want him here seems a bit much. It's possible both of those things are true, but it's also possible NEITHER is true.

Ya it just makes me crazy bc he's buds with Luka, gives us that playmaking and clearly the Mavs are better than any of the under the cap teams chasing Bog right now. You would think its a fit all the way around. THJ then becomes expendable at some point which is another advantage.

So, you might be right, but just to play devil's advocate...what if he doesn't WANT to be in Luka's shadow? What if he wants to be the PRIMARY ball-handler for a team?

And, ok, you think he's better than THJ, so fine. I think that's fairly debatable, but let's go with that. Say you replace THJ with Bogdanovic...who's spacing the floor now? Richardson? Yikes. 

I think there's a profound...I won't say misunderstanding, but maybe taking for granted of what great off-ball shooters like Hardaway bring to the table, and how that opens things up for others. It's not just about checking their damn 3pt%, guys.

Basically, here's my argument, and obviously some here will disagree.

Looking at the FIT of positions 1, 2 and 3:

If the two pieces in place are Luka and THJ, give me Bogdanovic over Hield. 

If the two pieces in place are Luka and Richardson, give me Hield over Bogdanovic. 

If the logic above leads you to Hield, then give me THJ and all of the future possibilities his expiring contract brings (would be shocked if some way better options than Bogdanovic don't shake loose, even without fit being considered).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | RC: We're not anywhere near done. - by KillerLeft - 11-20-2020, 01:42 PM