Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 09:39 AM)Drew Wrote: Yeah the idea that THJ is overpaid is a bit of a overstatement.

Especially when guys similar to him will be grtting comparative or even higher salaries.

I wish he was more like 15 mil myself. But I don’t think the Mavs are hurting by paying him the going rate either

His contract is in the same range as Hield and other players of that type. He's paid appropriately for the season he had last year. Those of us who see last year as a player and team settling on the perfect role for a good player who works hard believe he'll be that effective again. Some people (the pessimistic types) believe he just randomly shot 40% on a super high volume by having a lucky season (I guess). I think his defense is not all-world, but I think it's overblown here often as a huge issue the team must try to solve.

40% on 500+ 3pt attempts. Almost 8 attempts per game! This is ELITE. There were like 3-4 other guys who can offer this in the league last season. I think A) he would have much more trade value than people think but B) the Mavs very likely think they NEED him to be successful. 

I don't agree with Dan that an extension is necessarily on the table (right now), because I think they still want to keep the cap space option available next summer, and by aiming for that, there's an ADDITIONAL option of using his expiring contract (or Richardson's, or both) at the TDL. But, I do think Richardson and THJ both getting re-signed or extended next summer is an option that could potentially be in the top 5 most likely outcomes of all this.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | RC: We're not anywhere near done. - by KillerLeft - 11-20-2020, 10:07 AM