Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-20-2020, 09:47 AM)vfromlmf Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 09:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Anyway, my read of the tea leaves is Wood in a S&T deal for Wright. 

Agree this seems reasonable. But Wood is not a strong defender and he's certainly not a beefy enforcer. I've read Wood has been trying to maintain weight and Casey even said he needs to get stronger. His ideal playing weight is 240. I believe he played around 230 last year. I've heard he's down to 220 now. That doesn't speak to his maturity or work ethic during the offseason -- both of which have been major question marks for Wood over his career. 

The upside on Wood is there but how comfortable are you committing $60-70M to a player who looks a who lot like the next Whiteside? ... especially when Carlisle has had great success finding rim rolling bigs off the scrap heap. For example, a guy like WCS might give you 80% of Wood, at 20% of the price.

I'm also concerned about playmaking. As much as I like the Richardson deal, one could argue his was overexposed in Philly. Would the Mavs prefer a legit no 2 initiator (e.g. Kemba Walker) to ease the burden on Doncic?

I think we will see in time that Richardson is a legit no 2 initiator.  The guys at the Ringer think he's the perfect blend of ability to initiate without a NEED to initiate (like would be the case with someone like Kemba).

There is risk with all of these guys.  Dallas had Wood on a very successful summer league team in Orlando, so they know him.  They also know his coach relatively well (Casey coached Wright in Toronto and Wood in Detroit).  If Detroit is resigned to lose Wood (and all of their actions indicate they are), then Casey would be happy to share his thoughts with Carlisle.  Bottom line, I'm happy to trust Donnie if this is what happens.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | RC: We're not anywhere near done. - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-20-2020, 09:55 AM