Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-19-2020, 08:52 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: [b]Pick: 18[/b]
Team: Mavericks | Player: Josh [b]Green[/b] | 6-6 wing | 215 | 19, freshman | Arizona

Vecenie’s scouting report: Green is a monster defender on the ball due to his athleticism and lateral quickness. He’s tenacious and switchable due to his 6-foot-6 frame and 6-10 wingspan. I love him on that end. Offensively, he can pass it and make decisions, but he’s not a ballhandler. It’ll all come down to where the jumper settles in. That remains unclear. If he’s a 36 percent shooter like he was this season, he’ll be a starter.

Ranking: No. 22
Hollinger’s team fit: Green feels like a bit of a reach here, a theoretical 3-and-D guy that hasn’t shown nearly enough of the “3” and has been inconsistent on the “D.” He has good size and quickness for a wing but needs to refine his dribble game and finishing. I thought there were better fits available here.

I would have picked… Vecenie: Saddiq Bey| Hollinger: Saddiq Bey

[b]Pick: 31[/b]
Team: Mavericks (from GSW) | Player: [b]Tyrell Terry[/b] | 6-1 guard | 170 | 19, freshman | Stanford

Vecenie’s scouting report: I really like Terry, and think he has a chance to be a major part of some winning teams. He’s a genuinely elite level shooter, a terrific decision-maker who processes the game at a really high level, and a very high-level competitor. I don’t think it’s an accident that Stanford got a lot better last year by essentially replacing 2019 No. 32 overall pick with Terry. I’m just not necessarily convinced he’s going to be able to handle being a top offensive initiator in the NBA, which creates some questions at his size.

Hollinger’s team fit: The Mavs need shooting around , so this pick is such a logical fit that I can ignore the fact that I had a few other players rated higher. Terry is limited, but he’s young and can really shoot. Playing next to Luka will subtract his worst weakness, playing on the ball.

I would have picked… Vecenie: Terry | Hollinger: Terry

[b]Pick: 36[/b]
Team: Mavericks (from PHI via NY) | Player: [b]Tyler Bey[/b] | 6-7 wing | 210 | 22 | Colorado

Vecenie’s scouting report: This will be fun, because Hollinger and I have very disparate views on Bey. He’s an elite level quick twitch athlete with great length. But I just don’t love anything else he does. I thought he was an overrated defender who got driven on-ball more often than you’d like to see for a guy whose whole skill package is defense. Offensively, he’s a poor decision-maker and can’t shoot. I had a two-way grade on him due to athleticism, but I don’t love the skills and feel.

Hollinger’s team fit: Unlike Sam I had a late first-round grade on Bey, he’s a high-wire athlete who can defend multiple positions but needs to refine his shooting and make better decisions at both ends. I still think Paul Reed is better, but Bey has a chance to be an impact player off the bench

I would have picked… Vecenie: Tre Jones, or 15 other guys | Hollinger: Paul Reed
[b]Dallas, [/b]who had a great night. As mentioned above, they picked up the exact kind of guys that they needed to pair with Doncic and Porzingis. Richardson and 18th overall pick [b]Josh Green[/b] are tenacious wing defenders who will take all of the pressure off of Doncic and allow him to do what he does best on defense, which is roam on the help side while helping off of worse players. Richardson especially will be great in this offseason, because instead of having to take on some lead halfcourt responsibilities, he’ll get to do what he does best in Dallas, which is spot up, attack the occasional closeout, and make good decisions while also making opposing offensive players’ lives miserable. He’s just a very good role player who got miscast too often in Philadelphia.

The team also picked up another tenacious defender in [b]Tyler Bey[/b] at No. 36. Despite Bey winning the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year over Green, I actually like Green’s upside on that end a bit more. He’s less of a freelancer, and much more positional solid and stout than Bey is. Green is an on-ball menace, Bey is a havoc-wreaker away from it who gets deflections and touches on the ball. I’m a bit lower on Bey, but it’s a real fit if he can ever figure out how to shoot it. But speaking of shooting it, one of the wilder things to happen was how [b]Tyrell Terry[/b]‘s night ended up. I actually mocked Terry to Philadelphia at No. 21 because I think the guy he most resembles in the NBA is Seth Curry. So instead of having to wait for Terry to get comfortable in the NBA, the Sixers just went out and acquired the real Seth Curry. And to replace Curry, Dallas ended up taking Terry at No. 31. Given that I think two-way wings like Richardson are harder to find than smaller elite shooters like Terry, I think Dallas got the better end of that exchange. Still, it was a pretty good bit of business to get a potential steal in Terry at No. 31.

Vecenie adds a little more to the Dallas draft review today.

https://theathletic.com/2208000/2020/11/...nba-draft/
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | Donnie: Mavs not done yet - by Hypermav - 11-19-2020, 10:50 AM