Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-19-2020, 07:25 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: As Killer said, I think Richardson relieves some of Hardaway's shortcomings.  Richardson is a good playmaker and will cover the opponents best guard.  Since neither THJ nor Luka are cut out for that defensive role, it make their pairing an issue.  If you want secondary playmaking, it often comes from a guard.  But THJ isn't good at that either.  But, THJ is a good spacer and Luka/Richardson need that.

All three can and should start together because Richardson glues it all together in a way Curry couldn't.  If the guy could hit 40% of his 3's he'd be making $20mm a year.  He's basically a poor man's Holiday.  Plus, it is position-less basketball.  Luka is really a point forward, not a point guard.  Hardaway is a wing.  He gets half his time at SG and half at SF.  Richardson is a secondary ball handler/point of attack defender.  It all works just fine.  

I think we are done with the Hayward/Dipo conversation.  What we need now is someone like Wood or OPJ to move DFS or Maxi to the bench.  I'm hoping this is where keeping Lee during the bubble comes into play.

Going in reverse, I personally want no part of Dipo (1 year wonder, health concerns, expiring so we have no idea the contract he will demand, and his attitude doesn't seem like a match for what the MBT are trying to build) or to a lesser extent Hayward (still kind of worried about his health, going to be expensive to retain long term). Of the two, Hayward would be my choice but I sure wouldn't sleep easy at night.

Wood is a 70 game sample size. Those last 70 games are impressive, but what do you pay a guy like that in terms of years and dollars? Not sure. If you are sure about him, pull the trigger. He's the perfect age for this team. Never liked OPJ and if Luka's knock-on effect gets Richardson's offensive game back to his Miami days, we don't need him, especially if you want to start developing Allen.

Richardson's offensive game is below average. He could very well shoot 40% rom deep here and if he earns 20M per year, I hope it isn't from us. Maybe he becomes our Marcus Smart, but I'd want to compensate him similarly. The trade makes sense, we were dreadful on defense last year and get a prospect like Bey is a nice kicker for losing the long term control we have over Curry.

THJ is pretty simple in my eyes. MBT needs to ask themselves what are the long term plans for him. If KP can stay healthy, THJ long term is fine. The problem is that you can't count on that. THJ is a great third banana and some nights, when he is hot, he can be the second banana but he's not consistent enough to do it night in and night out. He also needs to start because he's proven that he can't be a sixth man. The biggest problem this team had offensively was in the crunch. You've got to get a consistent secondary play maker. THJ wants to be here long term and their hearts, MBT probably want that too but you can't think with your heart. If we can upgrade the punch that THJ offensively, it's time. I have no idea how realistic Buddy Love or Bogdan are but if that's an option, run don't walk. If they aren't an option, and while I don't love his age, Lou Williams would be the prefect supplement.

With all the new pieces, Curry being traded away and KP's injury, our historic offense is going to take a hit this year. That should be offset somewhat with improved defense.

MBT did a good job last night of giving the team the potential to have the depth of a team like a Miami. And with our Giannis pipe dream all but dashed or certainly delayed, I'm okay locking up a 3rd banana as version one of this Luka/KP/??? core even if ??? is an overpay. And speaking of overpay, as mentioned above, while Dipo and Hayward have never been part of my conversation, Buddy or Bogdan have. Both probably cost you a little more than you want to pay but both get you closer to that historic offense and both can help with our crunch time woes. We've also got the platoon of defenders now to help offset their woes. The question I keep asking is would I mind either as that ??? third piece and in both cases the answer is no.

Donnie said we aren't done. Obviously we need another 4/5 but I hope his statement is bigger than that.

All of that and not one mention of Millsap, be proud of me. haha
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | Donnie: Mavs not done yet - by cow - 11-19-2020, 09:08 AM