Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
[b]Pick: 18[/b]
Team: Mavericks | Player: Josh [b]Green[/b] | 6-6 wing | 215 | 19, freshman | Arizona

Vecenie’s scouting report: Green is a monster defender on the ball due to his athleticism and lateral quickness. He’s tenacious and switchable due to his 6-foot-6 frame and 6-10 wingspan. I love him on that end. Offensively, he can pass it and make decisions, but he’s not a ballhandler. It’ll all come down to where the jumper settles in. That remains unclear. If he’s a 36 percent shooter like he was this season, he’ll be a starter.

Ranking: No. 22
Hollinger’s team fit: Green feels like a bit of a reach here, a theoretical 3-and-D guy that hasn’t shown nearly enough of the “3” and has been inconsistent on the “D.” He has good size and quickness for a wing but needs to refine his dribble game and finishing. I thought there were better fits available here.

I would have picked… Vecenie: Saddiq Bey| Hollinger: Saddiq Bey

[b]Pick: 31[/b]
Team: Mavericks (from GSW) | Player: [b]Tyrell Terry[/b] | 6-1 guard | 170 | 19, freshman | Stanford

Vecenie’s scouting report: I really like Terry, and think he has a chance to be a major part of some winning teams. He’s a genuinely elite level shooter, a terrific decision-maker who processes the game at a really high level, and a very high-level competitor. I don’t think it’s an accident that Stanford got a lot better last year by essentially replacing 2019 No. 32 overall pick with Terry. I’m just not necessarily convinced he’s going to be able to handle being a top offensive initiator in the NBA, which creates some questions at his size.

Hollinger’s team fit: The Mavs need shooting around , so this pick is such a logical fit that I can ignore the fact that I had a few other players rated higher. Terry is limited, but he’s young and can really shoot. Playing next to Luka will subtract his worst weakness, playing on the ball.

I would have picked… Vecenie: Terry | Hollinger: Terry

[b]Pick: 36[/b]
Team: Mavericks (from PHI via NY) | Player: [b]Tyler Bey[/b] | 6-7 wing | 210 | 22 | Colorado

Vecenie’s scouting report: This will be fun, because Hollinger and I have very disparate views on Bey. He’s an elite level quick twitch athlete with great length. But I just don’t love anything else he does. I thought he was an overrated defender who got driven on-ball more often than you’d like to see for a guy whose whole skill package is defense. Offensively, he’s a poor decision-maker and can’t shoot. I had a two-way grade on him due to athleticism, but I don’t love the skills and feel.

Hollinger’s team fit: Unlike Sam I had a late first-round grade on Bey, he’s a high-wire athlete who can defend multiple positions but needs to refine his shooting and make better decisions at both ends. I still think Paul Reed is better, but Bey has a chance to be an impact player off the bench

I would have picked… Vecenie: Tre Jones, or 15 other guys | Hollinger: Paul Reed
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | Donnie: Mavs not done yet - by ClutchDirk - 11-19-2020, 08:52 AM