Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-19-2020, 01:44 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: @DanSchwartzman It's not really being talked about, but aren't we technically still within the boundaries of your plan HIBW? In fact, if the off season stopped right this second, are they CLOSER to cap space?

And they've managed to complete misdirect us away from complaining about it. 

If this works, you extend Richardson and maybe even THJ. Or, one or the other. If not - there's some space to sign players, absorb contracts (for draft capital), etc, etc. 

Donnie is KILLING IT lately, immfhao

I think Mavs are in an awesome position. If available, I would upgrade THJ+Wright+Jackson+2027 FRP for Hayward on his current contract. He is better player than THJ, he is the secondary creator we need and he is much better defensively than THJ. THJ, Wright and Jackson will be most likely gone anyway after this season, so why not doing it if possible. While Hayward and Richardson are a bit worse shooters than THJ, they are still good enough for opponents to guard. If they are open, they will punish them. That's why I don't think spacing would be any worse. You have a ton of flexibility in 2021. If team works perfectly, you can resign everyone. If (real) max free agent wants to come you have cap space. 

Luka, Brunson
Richardson, Terry, vet min
Hayward, MLE, Green
DFS, Kleber, Bey
KP, Powell, Bobi

If Hayward is not possible, I would keep THJ and trade Wright for poor man options like Snell, Young and similar. Young would also be great on this team and it would allow us to bring shooter for MLE. Poor man shooter that might be available for Wright salary would also be McDermott.

In any case, the future is bright.

Just no on any sort of 1st for Hayward. I'd argue there's nobody left we know that's on the market that's actually worthy of a distant first. Lets get back our 1sts first please. 

The issue I have with Hayward is that I'm not sure he's that guy anymore. A fully healthy Hayward under 30? Absolutely. 
Also at the price he will cost either to sign or trade for... That's going to really make things difficult on the rest of your roster construction. It's sort of major questions about his current game + cost. 

I mentioned yesterday that I'd only want to go around 20 a year for him. That's his top end value to me and everyone here said that wouldn't be enough (and I wasn't saying it would be). I don't think any team using about 30% of their cap space on Hayward is ever contending. Boston is way over now so maybe it's to a team that doesn't have cap space in a deal as sort of a finishing move. I'd suspect most teams don't have a gaping hole at SF that are contenders tho.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | Donnie: Mavs not done yet - by cjeter24 - 11-19-2020, 01:51 AM