Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-19-2020, 01:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 01:23 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I KNOW they value THJ more than this board does,
I'm thinking they trade him for Hayward, that's thinking low of him? I think he upped his value this year and we should capitalize on that, similar to what OKC is doing with their guys.

No not at all, but I think THEY believe he was not only good last season, but a big part of why the team was successful. I just get the sense that they like his approach in the locker room and as a pro. I heard Donnie gush the other day about how much synergy there was between he and Luka on the court. That pulled it all back into focus. 

I really think THEY are probably happy to keep THIS version of Hield who they already know fits their culture, wants to be here and hasn't yet required a long term financial commitment. 

You know how I feel about Hayward, but I'm not sure he's a fit with Richardson. Or at least, maybe not worth the contract now. I know Richardson will shoot better than he did last year, but I think he's the guy who will have the ball a little more than anyone besides Luka did last season, so THJ is objectively a better offensive fit, I think (might be wrong about this). I have an easier time seeing Richardson do what Burke did than what Curry did on offense, if that makes sense. 

To me, the value of paying Hayward was as a playmaker, but the Mavs went defense (like you wanted them to). Instead of getting a great playmaker who's a decent shooter and decent defender, they got a great defender who's a decent shooter (probably) and a decent playmaker (we hope). I think THJ, DFS, KP and Kleber all spacing for those guys is what makes it work. That's my read on it tonight, anyway.
Interesting. I don't see JRich as much of a playmaker and that's why I think Hayward (who I think is MORE of a playmaker, not necessarily a good to great one). If JRich is more of a playmaker than I'm thinking then all the better with Hayward and him together IMO. Between the 2 of them, they possibly make the 1 playmaker we need? That was kinda my thought process for them. 

Of the guys left over, Oladipo and Hayward are the most Mavs gettable and highest end playmakers (Bogdan is too, that whole thing just hasn't settled for me yet). I think Hayward is probably the better/more safe option between the two, and I know Donnie and Ainge have already talked so that was me putting 2 and 2 together.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | Donnie: Mavs not done yet - by ItsGoTime - 11-19-2020, 01:46 AM