Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-19-2020, 01:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: No not at all, but I think THEY believe he was not only good last season, but a big part of why the team was successful. I just get the sense that they like his approach in the locker room and as a pro. I heard Donnie gush the other day about how much synergy there was between he and Luka on the court. That pulled it all back into focus. 

I really think THEY are probably happy to keep THIS version of Hield who they already know fits their culture, wants to be here and hasn't yet required a long term financial commitment. 

You know how I feel about Hayward, but I'm not sure he's a fit with Richardson. Or at least, maybe not worth the contract now. I know Richardson will shoot better than he did last year, but I think he's the guy who will have the ball a little more than anyone besides Luka did last season, so THJ is objectively a better offensive fit, I think (might be wrong about this). I have an easier time seeing Richardson do what Burke did than what Curry did on offense, if that makes sense. 

To me, the value of paying Hayward was as a playmaker, but the Mavs went defense (like you wanted them to). Instead of getting a great playmaker who's a decent shooter and decent defender, they got a great defender who's a decent shooter (probably) and a decent playmaker (we hope). I think THJ, DFS, KP and Kleber all spacing for those guys is what makes it work. That's my read on it tonight, anyway.

By all accounts, we should have been bitching about THJ like we did Parsons and Barnes. Mostly to his credit, but also to the coaching staff and his pops, he's been a great Maverick and came closer to earning the dollars on his contract than any of hoped to imagine. He's also a great kid. Of course Donnie is going to talk him up, but we all know his limitations and the MBT have said everyone is on the table short of Luka and KP. If you can upgrade THJ, you need to do it. We'll need offensive punch to start the season anyway while all the new pieces come together and while we try to make up for KP's absence. We also need someone consistent in the clutch to take pressure off of Luka who can create their own shot. Some nights that THJ, some nights its not.

If you really want to keep THJ for the year, figure out a way to get Lou Williams on the team for that role.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) | Donnie: Mavs not done yet - by cow - 11-19-2020, 01:45 AM