Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-17-2020, 10:11 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 10:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He might have extended bc Atlanta asked him to so they can get a pick or two in exchange for Boston getting a giant trade exception.

Atlanta could certainly ask, but they didn't need to push back the option date to do it. If anything, encouraging him to opt out today would have forced Boston's hand. Something else is clearly going on.

Not sure if there is an advantage to opt-in and extend vs a straight up S&T. I don't know if there are limitations on S&T for taxpaying teams and I know the Celts are taxpayers.

(11-17-2020, 10:11 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 10:03 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: He might have extended bc Atlanta asked him to so they can get a pick or two in exchange for Boston getting a giant trade exception.

Atlanta could certainly ask, but they didn't need to push back the option date to do it. If anything, encouraging him to opt out today would have forced Boston's hand. Something else is clearly going on.

Also the extension keeps all of Haywards options on the table. If he goes ahead and opts out then he loses some options. I do think the door is still cracked open for a Dallas or Indy to make a move but it seems like ATL is 80% there.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by StepBackJay - 11-17-2020, 10:14 PM