Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
A few points regarding Hayward - 

1) I do not see him as a "3rd star." Given the combination of his injury history/decline/etc., I see him as a very solid starter. If KP is an iron man from his return on out, then Hayward is an adequate 3rd-best player. If KP continues to miss 20% or more of each season's games (not counting the beginning of '20-21), then you're in trouble if Hayward's role is above that of being your 4th-best player.

2) Right now, the Mavs have four starter-quality players - Luka (franchise), KP (good enough skills-wise to be Robin, hopefully his health lets him do that), and THJ and DFS, who are each potential 5th-best starters on a contending team - DFS with an obviously-better contract and fit. 

3) Before Hayward or any other moves, the Mavs' condition is that of needing to add a bare minimum of one starter for sure. They can use some of their bench guys in trade to do that. However, if THJ is outgoing this year, then they need to add two starters. If DFS is included in any deals, they need to add three starters. *No teambuilding that includes playing current bench guys as starters.*

4) My point is, if you sink assets and a hefty contract extension into GH, how are we getting our other starters? Especially if THJ is included in trading for him? My personal answer to that question is, if you're getting Hayward, you'd better have a pathway to getting an equally-good player to put alongside him, Luka, and KP by the beginning of the 2021-22 season as well.   

I assume that a sign-and-trade acquisition of Hayward means that the Mavs can operate over the cap and use their full MLE. That would likely get them a decent additional starter, but not a guy as good as what I'm talking about.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Scott41theMavs - 11-17-2020, 04:19 PM