Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-17-2020, 01:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 12:53 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: 8) Dipo for real damn cheap (like 31 and Wright)

Scott, I know this isn't the point of your post, and I'm hijacking a little, but this is something I'm really fascinated by this morning:

I think it's important that we all understand what Windhorst MEANT by "Oladipo has no value...contract related."

1) IND is obviously not going to move him for a package like what's above.

2) No team is paying more than that for a RENTAL.

3) Because of 1 and 2, any trade for a player like Oladipo, in his contractual situation, would basically require an agreement between Oladipo and his new team that a contract extension be in place in order to make the trade. It's the only way both teams can get what they want in the deal.

4) While there are teams who value what COULD BE with Oladipo (maybe including the Mavs), it's the guaranteed money on that potential contract, and not the trade cost, that's preventing a market from forming. That's what all the notes about "teams want to see Oladipo play for a while before trading for him" have meant. It all makes total sense to me now. 

So, and this is crucial to understand, IF that market materializes NOW (from the Mavs or any other team), given the events of the past 24 hours, I think it's safe to assume that it's at least a little bit of a panic move.

This got buried, and I think it's important, so I'm bumping it.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by KillerLeft - 11-17-2020, 02:56 PM