Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-16-2020, 08:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 08:40 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 08:33 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 08:12 PM)Hypermav Wrote: "Oddly, the Suns opted to make the trade immediately rather than wait until next week and try to use cap space on free agents. The Suns could have declined options on Cheick Diallo and Frank Kaminsky, renounced their rights to Dario Saric and Aron Baynes, and waived Elie Okobo, and had $16.2 million in cap room to pursue a power forward such as Paul’s recent Thunder teammate, Danilo Gallinari. Once the Suns had a free agent, they could have completed the Paul trade, use their room exception for depth, and re-signed guard Jevon Carter (who has a tiny $1.8 million cap hold).
Instead, the Suns forfeited their cap room possibilities and will be limited to their full mid-level exception in free agency. Phoenix can re-sign Baynes and Saric with Bird Rights, but neither of those guys are moving the needle; the Suns could find bench help that isn’t of much different quality with lower dollar exception money.
One move to watch that would further send the Suns all-in but could change my perspective on the cap decision: Using the 10th pick in the draft plus Kaminsky, Diallo and Okobo to acquire another high-level starter."

https://theathletic.com/2201448/2020/11/...ing-right/

So does that make Jevon Carter a possibility?

I see the Suns' FO attended the Cuban/Donnie Cap Management Seminar of 2019. In this case, it's that Sarver is cheap, cheap, cheap. "I'm already spending all this damn money on that State Farm guy. Why would I want to spend more? Get lost."
Saric + Baynes + MLE + (Okobo 2nd round trade value) is easily better than $16M in capspace. It´s rich to say these players don´t move the needle, but then act like $16M in FA allow you to adequately replace them AND get better on top.

Starters are always going to be better than bench players.
And who decided that Saric is not one?  He started 67% of his NBA career games. I´d rather have Dario Saric and the MLE than Caldwell-Pope for $16M.

The author acts like you get some superstar level player in that gap betwen their additional capspace 16M to 10M in MLE. Heck Saric will probably get an offer in the $16M range himself and then Sarver pays the MLE on top. In that case he´d even spend more money, too. So that makes absolutely no sense either. Just seems like a cheap shot, with no substance, at the Suns ownership or these Suns players.

EDIT: Oh it´s Hollinger, confirming why he was fired from the only executive job, he ever had in the NBA.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Mavs2019 - 11-16-2020, 08:51 PM