Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I've been reading the excellent posts and think moderation in expectations is key. The MBT isn't going to trade every asset for some 33yo stiff on the downside of his career. They also aren't going to trade #31 and a bag of salt for AD. 

The team as is ain't bad. #7 seed, but could have been #4 with a few less injuries and some skanky ref calls. Throwing out half of the top minutes players to chase one body isn't a path to success since it will take at least 10 decent bodies to get back to the playoffs. LACs were beatable until KP went down and I think DEN could have been taken as well.

I'd love to move up and get a higher ranked draftee, but I think there is a core you don't touch, for now, to do it. Only one of the Super DUOs made the finals, LeBron and AD, which makes me think the West is a lot more even competitively that we think. And now it appears that AD is either leaving (not) or blowing up LAL's salary budget.

The original thinking was to keep building this offseason and prepare for making a splash next offseason. I don't see where that has changed. Sure MBT will take a shot at a proven 3rd star, but those shots are going to be the exception. The Mavs are so close that tearing it down and trying to reload with a 3rd "star" and a bunch of bench scrubs isn't going to get any closer to a championship. Luka and KP are finding their balance together and making everybody around them better as a result. Get everybody healthy, continue to grow together, add new talent without giving away too much of the existing talent and we'll all praise them come next spring (or whenever the playoffs happen).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16, 11am) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by michaeltex - 11-16-2020, 10:46 AM