Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Moving this here so we don't keep ruining @"Kammrath"'s awesome draft thread:

Quote:
KillerLeft Wrote: Wrote:
(Today, 02:06 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Wrote:I realize you put the board on suicide watch for Rubio, but I LOVE him.  Been fantasy trading for him for 5-6 years.   

Now, we're talking. I like Rubio, too, and my insistence that we BE PREPARED was only meant to counteract the extremely negative reaction the board had to the idea.  We know the Mavs like him, and if they thought Kemba Walker could work, it's not that far of a stretch to think they could talk themselves into Rubio. 

I've been tempted to pose the following Earth shattering question for a couple of weeks now, but have been too scared of backlash. I'm going to do so now, but please understand that this is me trying to figure out what THEY think, not making my own assertion:

Are we sure the Mavs want Luka to play PG? Are we even sure HE wants to do that? 

Imo, we don't quiiiiiite have enough info to confidently answer in the affirmative. BE PREPARED.

In any event, I think it's EXTREMELY believable that the team who traded for 2008 Jason Kidd and carved out the role we saw him play well into his 30's would value that portion of Rubio's career more highly than other teams. 

- great defender
- better catch and shoot guy than advertised and improving in his old age
- floor general type who doesn't need the ball in his hands for much of the possession to make an impact

It's like a carbon copy, imo.

I find this line of thinking compelling.  Luka played well next to Dragic.  Dallas did go after Kemba and Beverley last off-season and signed Wright to play the role you are envisioning.  There is a league-wide trend to larger wings being "a" primary ball handler who is complimented by a non-traditional PG in a starting role (someone who can guard the position and have success on and off the ball).

It is great that Luka has been established as such an on-the-ball star who is also incredibly efficient.  But, that approach limits success.  So, unless we want to be capped out like the Harden-led Rockets, we need to diversify the attack more.  I also wonder if really good free agents will want to come here if Luka continues to post a usage rate of 87% (exaggerating).  

What you are doing if you do this (and sign a multi-year MLE guy like Millsap and extend THJ) is you are opening the contending window right now.  If you go back to The Athletic's top 125, Millsap is in the same 120-ish area as Curry, THJ and Maxi (and a tier above DFS presumably).  He would be higher if not for his age.  Rubio is in the 75-80 area alongside OPJ, Beverley, Dinwiddie and LaVine.  Adding both gives you 7 guys in the top 125 (Luka, KP, Rubio, Millsap, Maxi, THJ and Curry).  There were 8 teams that had six guys in the top 125 (Boston, Brooklyn, Houston, LAC, Miami, Toronto and Utah).  Dallas would be the only team with 7 of them (and would still have WCS, Brunson and a draft pick...Vassell or Nesmith if I were in charge...outside the top 7).  BTW, an uninjured Powell would have also made the top 125 as he shows better than Maxi using the stats Hollinger used for this.  That is a SUPER DEEP team.

I'm using Millsap in my posts because I think he's very available and probably won't want to go to Detroit or Charlotte et al.  But, you can accomplish the same thing with any of Ibaka, Crowder, Bertans, Gallinari, C. Wood or Harrell.
The last bit was from Dan.

(11-15-2020, 02:26 PM)fifteenth Wrote: So I've been completely out of the loop. Someone catch me up. 

So we're trading for Rubio and drafting Hayes?

I highly doubt BOTH of those things happen, but it's possible, I guess. 

If Rubio is the player coming in, then even with a pick swap (#18 up to #10) I don't see a way for Hayes to play here. Some people feel confident that Hayes is a future star and think fit doesn't matter when it comes to him - you draft him and find a way. I disagree, but it's possible. 

It's also possible that it happens, but without #10 coming in. 

It's also possible that it happens with #18 being swapped for #25. 

It's also possible that it doesn't happen.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16, 11am) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by KillerLeft - 11-15-2020, 02:27 PM