Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-13-2020, 08:49 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Thought for the morning...I wonder if we are all sleeping a bit on the Evan Fournier mention in the Townsend article.  Everyone has focused on the being aggressive with spending and moving up in the draft part of the story with little discussion of a Fournier trade and the MLE to C. Wood.

There were DSJ to Orlando rumors in 2019 before the Knicks trade with Fournier as the target.  He provides a little bit of playmaking, but is really good off movement and off the ball in the corner or in C&S situations.  He’s a rental, which somewhat devalues him, but I think the same kind of deal we talked about with Phoenix might be the package...DFS, Wright and 18 for Fournier and 15.  With Augustine as a FA, Orlando could actually use Wright.  DFS is a hometown boy and they really need some help at SF.

This violates one of my admonitions about trading option players at the draft.  I’ve never said it can’t be done.  I’ve said the player is in control of his own timing.  If you are Fournier and you have a chance to spend your contract year with Luka, what do you do?  I bet he would opt in a day or two early for the chance to be in Dallas.  

I could see the potential of this happening in the new season as well and being expanded to include Gordon and THJ...probably without the pick swap.  The idea of DFS being something Dallas is willing to move has really shifted my thinking on the possibilities out there.  While we go pages at a time on Oubre and LaVine, I wonder if Fournier isn’t the more likely fit.

I think Fournier is probably as likely as anything. 

point of clarification, though: we got that from NBASupes, the Hawks guy, not from Townsend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16?) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by KillerLeft - 11-13-2020, 08:52 AM