Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-12-2020, 11:09 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 10:09 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: What´s the argument to trade for Patrick Beverley, when I can just sign Kris Dunn?

Identical PG leading advanced metrics last season, only Dunn is five years younger, healthier and didn´t get his number playing with Kawhi and PG13. I bet you can even work out some S&T with Chicago to retain your MLE.

We need veteran leadership. We were the worst clutch team in the league last year, and one of the worst clutch teams in NBA history. A large part of that I think is because we didn't have a vet on the court that could calm the team down and make winning plays.

I think for all the warts Beverly has (and trust me I understand he has a lot), he is a winning player. Last year he helped take 2 games off the fully healthy KD Warriors and made Steph work for his points (8/18, 3/14 games). He is a consistent defensive force and a guy that can win games just by being annoying. One of the best examples of "love him on your team hate him on another". 

Dunn has been largely an inconsequential player on really bad teams. He has shown mixed results as a 3pt shooter, and hasn't proved he could be a significant difference maker on a playoff team. For a team like the Mavs that are looking to take the next step, I wouldn't want to rely on 2 unknowns and hope they have career years.

What if we look at the situation a little differently.  If the rumors are true, there is dissent in the Clippers locker room mostly centering around the practice habits of KL/PG.  The loudest voice is seemingly Lou Williams and it sounds like they want to get rid of him.  I know he's old but he can get buckets, gives you that veteran presence and would be killer in the clutch should teams try to double Luka.  Any interest?  I'd give 31 for him.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16?) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by cow - 11-12-2020, 11:50 AM