Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-12-2020, 10:10 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-12-2020, 09:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Just caught up on a huge rumor filled day. I think Rubio to the Mavs isn't happening. What I really think the Mavs are trying to do is nab Beverly and Oubre with as little assets as possible. It would make sense to see DFS name thrown in there and 18. I don't think both would be included.

I'd be a happy facilitator in any trade as long as it gets us off our own garbage. I can see OKC having interest in Wright given they're getting rid of their lead guard and Schroder is on his way out. If I were the Mavs, my plan would be Bev/Oubre as a 3rd team, and then going to Houston and offering 18+whatever else we didn't trade for Covington. 

Luka/Bev
THJ/Curry
Oubre/MLE
Covington/Maxi
KP/Boban/Powell(?)

That's a squad right there.

The first part of that we call the “Tyler Plan”.  The second part we call the Good Luck with That Plan.

I mainly wanted to point out/repeat that the Phoenix rumor (where we give up DFS/18 and probably Wright to help match salaries) may be a blue print for other things under consideration.  The elements being:

1.  Move up in the draft (or add draft capital to move up)
2.  Move off of enough 2021 salary to make it easy to create max room if necessary by trading for expiring players.
3.  Try to get expiring players who bring something to the table.

Oubre is probably more of a name than an actual asset.  But, in my mind he wasn’t the point of the Phoenix deal.  The point was #10.  There are similar players that teams may want to get off of among teams with higher picks.  DeRozan and Aldridge come to mind without spending any time looking.  

But, the theory would also work in terms of getting a pick outside the lottery.  We could combine 31 and some combination of players to get something in the teens or early 20’s and an expiring player.  That pick could then be combined with 18 to move up.  Same result, different assets.  There really isn’t anything special about Oubre that makes this have to be centered around him.  Dealing with Phoenix was just a direct route to #10.  Also, just because the CP3 deal doesn’t happen, it doesn’t mean Dallas can’t do a deal with Phoenix directly.

TOTALLY AGREE that Oubre is nowhere near significant enough to warrant the Mavs’ inclusion. I think we all agree about that. I TOTALLY HOPE that #10 is the point, but given what we have learned (if true) I’m still skeptical. 

Maybe there are some missing pieces of the puzzle that would help define it a bit. I sure hope that’s the case.

Personally, I am PREPARED for anything.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16?) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by KillerLeft - 11-12-2020, 10:15 AM