Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
One reason the Mavs may like Oubre (Fish has reported Mavs liked him in Washington) is that he's shown the last few years that he's a pretty decent wing in the PNR being around the 70th percentile. That's not elite by any means. But for a 24 year old wing that was pretty raw coming out? I think that's pretty good with plenty of room to improve. He definitely has good handles for a wing. 

He's an improving shooter with solid form. I'd think the Mavs probably see that continuing to improve and that they can work on that a bit. 

He's got the physical tools to be a really good defender. He is not yet by any means. And maybe he won't be but he's also been on bad teams that don't play defense. I think he's got the potential to actually be a plus defender if he wants to be. Again he may not want to be that type of guy. 

And lastly he's very athletic and a slashing type. I'd have to think the Mavs want more of that moving forward to not rely on shooting jumpers so much. IMO the biggest thing holding Oubre back offensively is that he's not yet figured out how to really excel off ball unless he's spotting up for a shot. He's way too athletic to not be a huge threat to cutting to the basket. If you check the advanced stats in those areas, his game is completely non existent. 

In a normal offseason I'd be chomping at the bit to get Oubre but it's hard to imagine a huge improvement with a shortened offseason. You don't have 3-4 months to work with him but 3-4 weeks.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16?) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by cjeter24 - 11-11-2020, 07:02 PM