Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-11-2020, 12:47 PM)Tyler Wrote: Just thinking about team motivations for a minute.

Without Paul, OKC is looking at a virtual blank slate in 2021 salary. Combine that with a full rebuild, and they're in a good position to absorb some salaries if it acquires affordable young assets and picks. With SGA and Dort, they also seem to have a direction in the backcourt.

The Clippers need a PG. Beverley is not only the obvious trade match for Rubio, but it also sounds like he's been in the anti-Kawhi/George camp. So I'm guessing he's in the deal.

Dallas wants cap space for '21. They also want a defender at PG and an upgrade at wing, and seem willing to trade the pick to make it happen.

Put it all together, and I could see a scenario where Dallas gets both Beverley and Oubre (two Duffy clients, FWIW).

Paul to Phoenix
Rubio to LA
Beverley/Oubre to Dallas 
Shamet/DFS/10/18 and Dallas cap filler to OKC

That cap filler would have to be about $20mm. So for arguments sake, make it Wright and Powell. By sending them long-term deals, Dallas can afford Beverley while still creating lots of space in '21. And I bet OKC could make good use of them as well both now and in the future. Note that a few minor players may also have to be sent out by OKC to LA/Phoenix just to manage roster slots, but that's so simple I consider it noise. 

Long story short, I think that's the sort of deal that fits the needs and character of each team.

Would you trade DFS/Wright/Powell/18 for Oubre/Beverley?

I'm not sure I'd make the deal, but THIS is something that I can see being AVAILABLE.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade (Nov 16?) & FA (Nov 20) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by KillerLeft - 11-11-2020, 12:49 PM