Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-10-2020, 08:05 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 04:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I like @"DanSchwartzman"'s wording a lot, and it's what I've been trying to express for months. "You don't have to clear the decks, but you have to stay within easy striking distance."

I agree but I think they are already in striking distance with Wright's deal which they will be eager to unload. With cap tightening/uncertainty I don't think they will take chances really. My they will draft a guy if they really like him which adds a little bit of money. But I don't think the Mavs want to get too cute with using up cap space. MBT definitely plays conservative. Yes could they give away a Maxi or Seth or whatever in 2021? Sure they would do that but then you just gave away a good player maybe for 10 cents on the dollar bc you made an error the previous season. Part of the pitch to Giannis is the supporting cast as well. Here is your 2 stars Luka, KP, championship coach and solid supporting cast of players.

(11-10-2020, 04:12 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 12:21 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: We're going to know the large outline of what the Mavs' roster for next season looks like by next Saturday. That's pretty cool.

Hope Dan caught that about the transaction window, including opt-ins and opt-outs etc., will be before the draft. It would be huge for the Mavs if they could trade THJ on draft day.

And WCS.  That would certainly be unexpected.  Potentially screws those players compared to how this has historically worked.  I'm not sure I believe either is going anywhere, but it would open up more doors if moving them is part of the plan.

So that was confirmed then, the opt-in is before the draft?

Not confirmed.  This comes from a Woj tweet 

"Talks on opening the NBA’s transaction window — trades, contract opt-ins and outs, etc. — are progressing toward firming a date two or three days prior to the November 18 draft, sources tell ESPN".

That's a pretty wide net.  You could have trades and the earliest opt-in/opt-out dates starting the 15th and 16th and still have the final deadline for THJ be the 19th.  But, the wording also leaves open the possibility of all options being due at the same time as trades are allowed.  Time will tell.

The other thing that came out last night is the 21 cap will be at least $112.4mm.  If Hollinger is correct on who we take/stash at 18, that saves another $1.6mm.  If we trade Wright for air, use part of the MLE on our second rounder and WCS opts in, we are there with a Powell S/W.  We can also get there with no S/W and a trade of anyone making more than $6.3mm.  I think you make a great point about retaining depth as we (potentially) save space for GA.

Back to Powell, if he is deemed tradable a year from now (even if it takes a future pick) and #31 is used in the Wright deal, we'd still have about $4.6mm in space to use on a multi-year basis in 2020.  That would make us competitive for that class of guys between the minimum and the MLE.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-10-2020, 09:02 AM