Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-09-2020, 04:51 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 04:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: @"KillerLeft"

I am mostly responding to anyone who wants a shot at Giannis or another player next summer in free agency by saying the Mavs do NOT need to clear space now. 

Getting off contracts now should be in no way a priority of any kind UNLESS you are targeting capspace THIS offseason (which is possible). If the Mavs are wanting to be a player next summer then just continue to Acquire Talented Trade-able Assets through the draft, through free agency with exceptions, and through trades. But do not "clear space"...way too premature for that IMO. You can clear space WHEN you need it as long as you have talented, trade-able assets.

There IS a level of contract you can't "just move next year to create space." There just is. And, there are several levels of contract below that will be difficult enough to move that you'd have to attach assets (which you don't have) to do so. I think it would be INSANE for the Mavs to hamstring themselves in that way, and not just because of Giannis. Like @"Mavs2019" points out, there will be other options! 

I like @"DanSchwartzman"'s wording a lot, and it's what I've been trying to express for months. "You don't have to clear the decks, but you have to stay within easy striking distance."

Thanks for catching the nuance.  I’m personally probably more an ATTA guy than a Plan Powder guy.  But, I like to explore possibilities on all of the potential paths ahead of us.  I would take Harris if the right things were attached.  I’d also give up some assets in the right trade if it moves Wright for a more useful player on a one year.  But, there are also versions of getting Harris and moving Wright I’m opposed to.  The details matter.

As to clearing space now or later...Wright a year from now is a risk.  I’m well aware his advanced stats are still pretty good.  But, another year that ends like the last one and he will be further devalued.  I’ll also point out that the TEAM probably thought Powell fit into the Easy-To-Move column...a year ago.  Now he doesn’t.  We are a Maxi or Curry injury away from not controlling our destiny.  It makes me nervous when people say “we can always”.  We can’t “always”.  Between Powell’s injury and another bad season from Wright and one more injury we’d be forced (held hostage) to give up assets we don’t have to sign a max FA.  So, moving on from Wright (at the right price) probably does make sense and adding multi year MLE types or trade targets should be taken on very cautiously IF powder for 21 is the plan.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-09-2020, 08:31 PM