Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-09-2020, 02:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 01:03 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think the asset point is key.  We don't have to perfectly clear the decks prior to 2021, but we have to get to within easy striking distance.

I am fully on team Acquire Talented Trade-able Assets (ATTA). To me that needs to be the plan moving forward.

No one is arguing against getting good players on cheap deals. In fact, that seems to have been their plan for the last couple of years, so mission accomplished. The point is that when you've exhausted those options, the next move should 100% not be to get players on bad contracts, UNLESS you're doing so as a means to get an A-list guy, which doesn't seem likely. 

Yes, you can trade Curry easily. Yes, having multiple Curry-like players on the roster makes moving 1-2 of them palatable. But, what people around HERE consider to be a value situation is nut-bar factor 9, sometimes. 

I would LOVE Gordon Hayward at a certain number, for example, and I don't think taking a couple of swings at the draft would be the worst thing, either. 

Very simple and safe: Go about your business, make smart decisions, and at the trade deadline, anyone not in YOUR rotation who isn't likely to be easy to move next summer, bail on them. Honestly, if you're confident NOW they won't help you this year and you've already tried to swap them for players who can, I'd be OK with doing it sooner as a last resort. I definitely don't want to be in a situation where I can't move the contracts I'd PREFER to move. I want the majority of the guys with value HERE after next summer if at all possible. Again, if you find more deals this month like Curry and Boban last year, GREAT! But NOT finding those deals isn't the worst thing that could occur, imho. Talking yourself into bad deals just to "do something" is, by far, the dumbest possible outcome.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by KillerLeft - 11-09-2020, 04:31 PM