Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-09-2020, 01:03 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 12:09 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that waiting until next summer is too late, despite all the talk about how teams can create space anytime they want. I don't think it's nearly as easy as people flippantly declare, especially when you're short on sweeteners to attach in such deals. 

I think the asset point is key.  We don't have to perfectly clear the decks prior to 2021, but we have to get to within easy striking distance.  I used the term controlling their own destiny to denote this.  The other part of the concept is clearing space while still having a team around the 3 stars.  

This isn't the same as some of the cases in years past where a Miami or a GSW or a Los Angeles team could give away assets to clear room.
There is no doubt we can give away enough assets next summer to make Giannis happen, but as we all agree you have to find the most clever way to go about it. Let´s say we draft Desmond Bane and Tyler Bey (in line with the Mavs clear tendency to pick players with 3+ years of college/pro experience). You know how old these guys are?

Bey is the same age as Ayton/Bamba, a year older than JJJ/Bagley/WCJ from the 2018 draft class. Bane is within 6-9 months of all the top picks from the 2017 draft class. That´s 3 1/2 years ago. So these guys should be able to contribute right away and then teams will say: Sure we eat Powell+Wright, give us Bey and Bane. They won´t be like, yes please give me your unprotected 30th pick from 2025 and 2027.

Right now with "only" Luka and Porzingis you can still talk yourself into the Mavs falling back into the lottery, if Porzingis suffers a career-altering injury. Once Giannis commits we are a 60 win team for the next decade, no matter who else is on this roster. That also de-values our future 1st round picks next summer. Not that I would necessarily want to trade a 1st right now to get rid of Wright and Powell.

Also even if the Mavs were the last team on earth, given the sheer amount of good free agents next summer, everybody is getting a good player. It´s not just Giannis.

Also all these agents and teams were planning for 2021 with a cap projection of like $122M. That knocks off $390M in available capspace for all these guys. Does that make it more likely some guys will stay put? Sure. But that still costs money.

I bet even teams like the Knicks, Hornets or Kings will do well next summer. People will be like good job Kings snatching Jarrett Allen as your starting center for the next decade. Sound investment.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Mavs2019 - 11-09-2020, 01:48 PM