Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-08-2020, 11:34 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: One other cap management note.  I've advocated that WCS would probably opt-in because he would make an extra $400k (not insigificant), and have a $2.9mm cap hold.  OTN who posts at LMF pointed out that if he opts out and resigns at the minimum with Dallas, he would have the same EB rights to go up to the league average salary, but his hold would be closer to $900k.  That extra $2mm in cap space might help in 2021.  It only matters if they are hanging onto cap room (which I hope they don't do).

With the cap guidance for 21 now at $111,324,000 (GA max = $33,397,200) the Mav's are now able to control their own destiny if they move Wright and employ the plan above.  What I mean by controlling their own destiny is they can S/W Powell to get to the number they need.  Obviously, it would be better to trade Powell, but we really don't know what his value is going to be a year from now.  They could also trade away either of Curry or Maxi and get to their number...but do they really want to do that?  Giannis makes Powell unnecessary and if Plan Powder in its purest form is the goal, then controlling ones destiny is important.

The point is that while they may try to get a star in 2020, if they don't get one, their fallback is likely to be Plan Powder.  Sign someone to a one year MLE, try to move up in the draft and try to move Wright for an expiring deal.  By my numbers, I show $925,000 of room under these assumptions (WCS takes the minimum, S/W Powell, trade Wright for an expiring deal).  That $925k gets you to about the 12th pick if you are trying to move up to the "lottery".

BTW, Kevin Pelton came out with draft Tiers this morning.  FWIW, here is where he has the class ranked.

Tier 1:  Ball
Tier 2:  Edwards, Haliburton
Tier 3:  Avdija, Okongwu, Wiseman
Tier 4:  Hampton, Hayes, Nesmith, Okoro, Toppin, Vassell (that's 12 players)
Tier 5:  Anthony, Bey, Green, Maxey, Maledon, Williams (that's 18 players)

As I've said before, IF THJ is the path to Giannis, then Dallas needs to get his replacement in hand sooner rather than later. 

BTW, not advocating PP here.  Just pointing out the numbers in case that is the plan...and I get that big market teams seem to be able to make salaries disappear (so no need to point it out for the umpteenth time).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-09-2020, 08:37 AM