Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-07-2020, 07:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 07:37 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I'd just point out again to the idea that we are too young to win because of Luka's age. 

It's nowhere near all about HIS age, though.

A) the NBA game is different enough. Yes, he had a head start through past experience, and yes, he might continue to hit milestones earlier than we expect. At this point, nothing will shock me with this kid. But, come on...do you really expect him to outplay Lebron or Kawhi in next year's playoffs? I think that's LUDICROUS. I think THEIR experience trumps HIS by a significant margin. 

B) It takes time for the TEAM to gain experience TOGETHER. That's just as important. Maybe more important, tbh. 

I'm not trying to put myself in the position of arguing AGAINST my team, but I think it's premature to call them contenders. I wouldn't expect them to be one of the top 4 teams in the West next year, tbh.  It's just my opinion. Obviously I'll be thrilled if they exceed expectations. I'll need to see one person on the roster besides Luka who can actually create offense before I drink that kool aid though.

Well you never know with Lebron. He has to slow down at some point. And I do wonder with the short offseason if this is the year Father Time catches up to him a bit. But until then.. He's the king. 

I'd argue Luka already has outplayed Kawhi in the playoffs. 
But it's not about even outplaying those guys. Those are all time greats and best 2 way player in the league. Is Luka ever at that level? No idea. It doesn't matter. He doesn't have to outplay anyone. It's a team game and if the team is better, I think the Mavs would win. It's a matter of whether he can do what he has to in the playoffs. And for him that's generate offense at an insanely high level. I have 0 reason to think that he doesn't continue to do that in the playoffs. He torched the clippers with a rag tag group of guys. 

I get what you are trying to get it. It's the only school mentality of having to earn it and get that experience. I think experience is important and I think Luka has a ton of it already. It's not the exact experience that you are wanting but I think it's extremely applicable. 

I think the bigger issue of those teams not being ready to win is not having the roster. I don't recall many instances of rolling it back being the answer for teams hitting the wall. They either change it up and power thru or they continue to hit the wall like Milwaukee is right now. Like Toronto did before and then made major changes and broke thru. 

That being said... This roster isn't close to being good enough to contend. I don't think the Mavs are contenders next year no matter what they do. I think it's next summer after they add an additional piece in free agency. We arguably need 3 long term starters but at least 2. We need a #1 type guy off the bench. We need better big depth (WCS might be the guy there but big ?). We need more guys to attack the rim and not stand around waiting for a shot. We need better defense across the board. You are looking at 3 or 4 major pieces which is next to impossible in one offseason without cap space. 

On the other hand, Lakers also had a deeply flawed roster and managed to win with pure star power. So there's that idea if you want to believe it.

(11-07-2020, 08:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-07-2020, 08:01 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: My most likely trade of the offseason for any team is Danny Green for Delon Wright. 

I'd do that deal, if Wright can't get you something great in a package.  That would definitely be a cap space move, but he could help you for a year.

Yeah I'd prefer including Wright in a bigger deal but those deals don't always materialize. 
But I think Wright is gone from Dallas and I think Green is gone from LAL. Both teams are looking for what the other brings.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by cjeter24 - 11-07-2020, 08:12 PM