Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
[b]Initially, you didn’t want to talk about Christian Wood and unrestricted free agents, but you mentioned going after guys you’re interested in. Have you gotten a chance to gauge what you want to do there, or if he fits in the picture?[/b]
We look forward to continuing to have talks with Christian and his representatives. He’s someone we have strong interest in. Absolutely. Definitely looking forward to continuing talks with them. Do I have a number in my head? Yeah, I always have a number in my head, but we’ll see how that works out. I’m excited about Christian and the opportunity to speak with him and his representatives.
[b]Edwards analysis:[/b] This is sort of a big deal, as the Pistons hadn’t really publicly expressed their interest in bringing Wood back. He barely made the roster out of training camp last season, then emerged and now enters free agency as one of the market’s most interesting targets due to his age (25) and skill set for a big. Even with the lack of experience and maturity issues that hovered over him early in his career, Detroit probably feels confident by now that Wood has grown and can become more of a household name. You rebuild — or “retool” — to get players like Wood in your system.
I’ve heard Wood could earn anywhere from $9 million to $17 million per year on his new deal. If the Pistons can re-sign him for the average annual value of about $10 million, he’ll count only $1.7 million against the cap, so you know where Weaver’s head is at. However, teams with cap space like the Knicks, Suns, Hornets — and even some lacking cap space, according to sources — will try to land Wood when free agency starts. I’d be surprised if Detroit is able to sign him for less than $12 million per year.

https://theathletic.com/2181629/2020/11/...er-stands/
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Hypermav - 11-07-2020, 09:06 AM