Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(11-06-2020, 01:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 01:15 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Mavs2019, I actually like your gonzo idea a great deal. You did leave out that THJ, Powell, Wright, and Curry would still be on roster, likely robbing minutes from some of the rookies.

Can't have the argument both ways. 

If the point is that there should always be an element of youth on the roster, learning, developing behind the vets to MAINTAIN the team's status as a good team in the future and avoid bottoming out, I can get there. In that way, you might have a legitimate beef with the Mavs' decision making process. 

But, if you take it to the point where you say that the vets aren't better than the rookies and more ready to play winning basketball, and that the rookies should be on the floor instead of them, you're basically saying "I'd rather have rookies in the rotation than make the playoffs." In that extreme view, I 100% lean towards the Mavs' history of thinking. 

So, in my opinion, if you want them to value non-obvious draft gold, you have to also be cool with the patience that comes with it.

In a world where GA is still available, I love the idea of using this season to bring in a round of young potential.  This draft is perfect for that, tbh.  Not a lot of high end, but crazy depth.  Maybe not AS much as Mavs2019 threw out there, but the late first, early second round has so many players I would like to add to this roster.  I think that there are a couple of players I would target in that range.  It gives you a ton more ammo to maneuver later and better fits the timeline.  Developing young players also allows the Mavs to avoid overpaying for other's young guys and then finding out that fit is an issue, like with Wright.   

For instance, I would rather take shots at guys like Quickley, Alexander, and Azubuike in the second round on super cheap contracts than try to fill those spots in FA with older vets.    This is the kind of draf, imo to upgrade the potential talent pool.  It is one of the reasons I am down on trading for Gobert or other expensive centers - that list of quality C's at basically the vet min means that paying a traditional C - even if a good player - is a huge opportunity cost because the replacement cost for what they are bringing is just not that high.  I am actually happy with the Mavs' value at the C with WCS and Bobi.  That is excellent cap management.  Today's value is to add quality on the perimeter.  So save money and get a few more lottery tickets to see if you can hit on one or two on team friendly deals.  Adding that depth will make adding a luxury piece more palatable because you don't have to have that $ to fill needs and you build your own flexibility! 

So yes, sign me up for adding some extra picks, and taking low risk shots at players like OPJ/Dipo who the market is down on and may turn into perfect players for this roster while keeping flexible for the NEAR future.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Mavsfan12 - 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM