Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I´m still leaning heavily toward taking a free youth swing this season and prepare for 2021. It just seems the smartest strategy.

For example trade #18 for #21, #31, #34 with Philly.
Trade Kleber for #26 + #30 with Boston.

Take:

Bane #21
T. Bey #26
Stewart #30
Woodward III #31
Ramsey #34
Azubuike #36

Most typical NBA readier older rookies that Carlisle will love.

Make use of the MLE by going after more younger talent in FA. Now that Kleber is gone via trade, Saric sees the clear path to be the starting PF.

Strength in numbers. No bad contracts. We are not looking for franchise players here.

I don´t like this idea to move for Hayward or Harris now. You can still move for a star next summer.

Last season we were still the 6th oldest team in the league. Get a few more age compatible players in for 12 months. Basically make it a trial year. The long-term monetary commitments would be low. Let Luka win MVP and then you make your play for Giannis, more veterans or maybe the 2021 RFA class.

Doncic 21 / Brunson 24 /
Bane 23 / Ramsey 19 /
DFS 27 / Woodward 21 /
Saric 27 / Bey 23
Porzingis 25 / Stewart 19 /Azubuike 21

That´s exactly max money territory, even at the reduced $109 cap. We´d basically become the 2020 Nuggets, only with a clear path to max money cap space.

Right now the strategies discussed are centered around trading one of Kleber (or Curry) + our trash for Harris. Does the upgrade from Kleber to Harris really push us from 1st round fodder to NBA championship contenders next season?

To me that is a clear and loud NO.

It´s clearly a timeline case for me. I don´t see any strategic advantages to making a long-term commiment move now, unless we are talking top 15-20 ish NBA player. You give yourself 12 months to actually test the health status of Porzingis, before you lock yourself into a cap hell like Harris or Hayward.

Play it smart.

Luka is ambitious, but winning MVP will do for next year. 2021/2022 is the season we need to have the team together.

(11-06-2020, 11:18 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-06-2020, 11:07 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Ok, so I buy all of that, and I can tell you've done your homework on the guy. Here's the counter argument:

One thing in his excuse - best point guard he played with was arguably DJ Augustine.

That´s the same case you can make for guys like Drummond or Lavine. Who the best guys they played with?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & FA (Nov 20?) + Salary Chart | $109.1M cap - by Mavs2019 - 11-06-2020, 12:11 PM